Help! Polo or Lupo!

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by ripskin, Mar 7, 2013.

1. ripskin Forum Member

Good afternoon all, I need to pick some brains[:D]

Wanting to buy a more economical VW and have narrowed it down to either;
    2002/3 1.9 diesel polo or,
    2000 1.4 lupo petrol.

the ones in our price range have around 60-80k mileage.

I have read some info about the lupo's on here and associated problems but not much info found on the diesel 2002/3 polo's

Any owners of either or knowledge of the two would be awesome, I just really don't know which way to go.

The car will be doing short journeys and about 6k a year and driven by a woman so I don't know if that matters....
    Any help much appreciated Clubpolo is useless.:thumbd:

thanks guys!

2. macp New Member

Well I used to have a 1.9TDi polo sport on a 52 plate with around 100k and it was superb.My wife drove it mostly and she loved it I drove it now and again and with that 1.9 lump it went very well.Basically a slightly smaller golf which did everything as well as transport the dogs great little car.I know very little about Lupos but they are a good deal smaller.The main thing to look out for on either cars is gearbox & clutch a stiff pedal & rattling at idle could be clutch release bearing. Noise from the gearbox when accelerating & decelerating could also be gearbox bearings either way its gearbox out and may as well fit a clutch whilst in there.

3. Gazt Forum Member

I had a lupo 1.4s,great little car!,had an issue with the exhaust flexi,just welded a new flexi in instead of buying the downpipe because it included the cat and was quite expensive,also the release bearing was a problem,other than that it was great and pretty damn good on fuel as I was only doing short journeys,on long journeys it was also really good