Help required

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by GolfSteve, Apr 7, 2014.

1. GolfSteve New Member

UPDATE 16:00: We figured it out with the good use of a HBoL; turns out that we didn't adjust the clutch cable properly (kept the fork arm up), so after removing the gearbox for the 3rd time since Saturday we pieced it back together; put the clip back on the clutch cable and fitted it correctly. Works perfectly now, that was the cause of no biting point ;).

--

Hey guys,

This is a long shot without being here to diagnose, I'll try to explain as much as possible.

I purchased a gorgeous Mk3 Golf (2ltr '97) a month ago (lacking some severe TLC), been driving fine and passed my test last Tuesday in it (woop..) before hand the clutch was really stiff bringing it through the biting point, I assumed this would be the clutch or cable and presumed it would last for a bit longer. That evening I took my friend home from work, after dropping him off and pulling out from his road the clutch pedal fell to the floor, luckily I had motion so nursed it in to a side road and parked up. I had to pick the clutch up with my hand and there was no motion in it

After several hours of waiting I had the AA tow me home. I've now replaced the clutch, cable, TO/release bearing and the finger (previous had a crack in it, assumed that would be the problem.

Assuming all was fine me and my friend (mechanic) put it all back together, put the driveshafts back on and went to give the new clutch/cable a drive. No... I can go into gear fine but there is no biting point, so can't actually drive in to the gear?

I don't know if anyone would be able to advise me on what this would be? I'm pretty skint and don't get paid for another 3 weeks, so let's hope this won't be an expensive fix. I'll take the gearbox back out shortly to see if there's anything visible but I've honestly no idea what the problem is..

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Steve.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014