Help with MK3 Front speaker install

Discussion in 'ICE' started by jock23, Mar 16, 2006.

1. jock23 Forum Member

AARRGGHH!!!

Putting new components in my MK3 TDI and its really p****** me off now!!!

Sorted the tweeters out but when I go to put the mids in the door card they are just causing problems. When I put the speaker in the door card, the standard grill wont go back on, and the alpine one wont go on either cus it wont fit in the hole!!!!!!

Do I just leave the grills off? Dont really want to due to damage that might get caused (and it looks poo). I have started cutting the grill edge so that it will clip on, looks like thats my only option

2. GolfChick22 Forum Member

not sure as i can fully get a grasp of the problem without seeing some photos as to what you mean. If you've installed correctly the normal grill should go over the top?

3. doublei New Member

I had the same problem when i was putting some door speakers in, as originaly the car only had tweeters (no door speakers) i fitted my speakers and the grill that came with the speakers was to big for the hole. I didnt have a cover over them for a bit then some one i know who had smaller speakers offered me their covers, and they fitted.

When i was using the car with out the door speaker covers the speakers didnt get knocked, even though mine is a 3 door. You might want to try looking on ebay for speaker covers for i think it was 10cm speakers. They fitted my door.

4. cabrioletmk3 Forum Member

try maplins.co.uk they sell speaker covers.

5. mexicorich Forum Member

Carefully trim the speakers and fit the original covers
    You will be well hacked off when some clumsy passenger or a bag of shopping splits your speaker without them

6. Supercharged Forum Member

Has anyone else sorted the above problem?? - I don't see how the speakers can be 'trimmed'??

I got exactly the same problem on a 5dr MK3 upgrading the originals with GTO 6.5", also tried some Alpines and both are a straight swap apart from the fact I cannot get the original grills to clip back on...

7. garfayliu Forum Member

hi, I had this pro with my pioneers 17cm 3-way door speakers.

you can trim the original speaker covers, there will be a raised centre section which hits the centre of the speaker. I trimmed this flat. All the edges of the trim were okay for mine, but they made it fiddly to fit so I cut the alignment lips off. After that it requires lining up and then some careful but forceful persuasion to fit. hey presto, uprated components with oem look.

8. Willdub85 New Member

I have just bought some 17cm speakers for the doors of my MK3 Golf Gti, do you think i could have problems here also? I measured before i bought and i thought they would fit. I ordered them today, so i should get them by Friday. If i have trouble installing i will post back.

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

see i thought mk3 speakers were 165mm

10. leeroy8v Forum Member

i got sony in mine went straight in no probs ill try and take 1 out tom and fine the exact size

11. ericgtisuff Forum Member

I fitted new Pioneer 17cm front door speakers and put the original VW covers back on with no probs. Still waiting for the rear door speakers to arrive.
    The sound is still very crappy,was wondering how I could get more bass,the tweeters in the dash are far too loud,thats mainly what I hear.
    Any solutions will be appreciated.

12. Supercharged Forum Member

Did the pioneers come with tweeters?

Problem with the mk3 is that altho the factory speakers are crap musically, the whole system is actually designed quite well in terms of audio dynamics and balance with the sound from the tweeters reflecting back at you from the screen etc...

To get a better sound out of the mk3 you really need to spend over 100ish and get some 2 ways with crossovers and tweeters. As per my post above I tried alipnes and JBL's and neither fitted with the factory grills or gave the sound I wanted.

I finally settled for some Rainbow components from Audioscape - superb!!!!

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

probably sounds a bit weak if youre powering it from a standard headunit (and a lotta aftermarket ones too) if they dont have good power

14. deanmk3 New Member

I had a problem fitting my grills back on when I fitted my infinity comps, I found I had to slightly trim one of the lugs so i cleared the outer ring of the speaker, went on fine after that and it isn't loose.