hi there photography types

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Matt82, May 16, 2009.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

im looking to buy a new camera. budget goes up to 150 and i really am a camera newb. what would you recommend for very nice images and ease of use?

2. mark25 Forum Junkie

That's a dangerous question on here! I asked that and ended up buying a DSLR and am now looking at 1250 quid lenses:lol:

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i thought that the other day, I remember your orig thread as to whether to get a decent compact or slr and then within months the bug had bitten and you were looking at len's!!!! :lol:

Matt, for 150 I would be looking at what mark was looking at originally I think, something from fuji similar to this

linky

slightly over, but anything from fuji along those sort of lines. They take much better pics than normal campacts and unless you get pretty handy with an SLR on average it will probably give you better shots easier.

Womble on here has a panasonic lumix which i am pretty sure is also a proper zoom 'compact' in the same vein as the fuji's and he has some seriously impressive shots as seen here

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181752

camera found here

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...FX37 Digital Camera in Silver-75250/Show.html

again slightly over, but we have to show you the expensive one's so that before long you just think borrox and get an SLR :thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the Fujifilm Finepix S2000HD Digital Camera that RIP-MK3 posted the link
    is very good for the money
    i have the older Finepix s 5500

keep a look out you get some good deals on them

have a look in costco they have the s1500 at a good price

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  5. mark25 Forum Junkie

that's the one i asked out in my original thread:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182773

IIRC the s8100fd is a better camera for the same price, but the s2000hd does do HD video.

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

HD video is probable not worth having
    if you just want it for photos

7. beetie

beetie Forum Member

more likely to be one from the tz series like this one as he states it has a 10x optical zoom:thumbup:
    http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=4460&gclid=CNGTypHXw5oCFZSD3god_1jVqw

couple of pics from germany(koblenz) i took using one. i am rubbish at photography by the way
    [​IMG]

zoomed in
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

can't go wrong with that. I spent 180 on my olympus waterproof/shockproof thing and the pics are crap. Now looking at getting something similar to that, and at 140 might be sooner than i had planned.

Does that do video as well?

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

see, i cant see myself doing video with it. my old camera, i had it 3 years and used the video once at the ring.

id much rather get something with a better lense and simple video ability, but im too newb to work out what has a good lense and what doesnt

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

yeah i wouldn't buy a camera on its video but if it does it then happy days. I didn't mean HD like the other one, just does it do any type of video

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

and li-ion batteries, are they are must have over AA?

13. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Absolutely! Don't even consider buying one that uses AAs. It would cost you a fortune in batteries, or you'd be forever recharging.

I'm using an SLR and sometimes go weeks before charging the battery. With my old compact, it was days, or even sometimes one session and they would be flat!

14. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ yeah you dont want battery expense, it becomes annoying. My SLR I can leave for weeks with it on say 10% and come back to it and its still on 10%, lasts for days of continues use as well

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

16. beetie

beetie Forum Member

mines the tz4 and it's very small which is just what i was after.

plus it can be point and shoot which for me is great as i haven't got a clue what it all does[:D]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit: looks like the filming on it is pretty good too. click on hd
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLXVxl5gLDU

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  17. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

My used Nikon D50 was only 205 a year ago....

forget new, and forget fujifilm. get a proper nikon or canon, something you can add to later. you can invest in more lenses and change the body at a later date should you feel the need to.

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ a used SLR can be a right lottery, and there are other makes than nikon and canon that are 'proper' ;)

Fujifilm make some of the best half way grounds from crap compacts and SLR's, and although I love my SLR I am now looking at a decent camera that is a lot smaller that i can just snap with when im out and about

19. lufbramatt Forum Member

yeah fuji make some really good compacts- got my girlfriend a 85 fuji a sa chrstmas pressie a year or so ago and shes taken some blinding fotos with it. hasnt got masses of features but it has a nice sharp lens and is reliable.

an SLR isnt always the answer- to an extent i probaly take less fotos than i used to now i have a DSLR as i cant always be bothered lugging it around, and dont want to risk breaking it from falling off my mountain bike etc. so now i'm probably gonna end up buying another compact! id rather have a shot from a slightly less-good camera than no shot at all . . .

20. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I find my phone takes pics nearly as good as my old compacts ever did. so they are pointless. Get a good phone camera and a DSLR, best of both worlds then.