HIC Ins peeps

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by coullstar, Jun 1, 2004.

1. coullstar Forum Member

Those out there who are with HIC do you know if you are insured TPFT on another car as long as the other cars insured?
    I am fully comp with them and I dont want to phone if at all possible because we all know how quickly they answer phones.

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Actually to give them credit, I got through really quickly when I called the other week.

I have got TPFT insurance with them, and I am allowed to drive any other vehicle providing that the vehicle is insured by someone else.

3. coullstar Forum Member

Well if you are TPFT and I am fully comp then it looks like it should be ok.
    Anybody else? I remeber looking at the paperwork ages ago but I couldnt find anything.

4. Skunklook Forum Member

I have been insured for about 7 years with them and when I used to have TPFT I seem to remember being insured on other vehicles if they are insured by the owner (personal use) already. If you're fully comp like I am now then you are insured on another vehicle regardless. They said I don't even have to inform them but they prefer it if the owner has cover for you already. (to save them losing out in event of an accident)

Oh and coullstar, the orange mk1 rules... and yes i'd drive like i stole it ;) :lol: :lol: ;)

5. Skunklook Forum Member

check ya policy first though mate... nothing worse than hitting something (or worse, someone!) and then finding out.... sit on hold mate! they're sh1t at answering quickly hey?!

6. coullstar Forum Member

Yeah but I bet they dont.

7. damogti Forum Junkie

My insurance with HIC is the same.........

8. MrBen Forum Junkie

It varies - don't presume anything - HIC charge extra on some policies to include the cover, for example.

If you check your Certificate of Motor Insurance, look for a section starting 'The Policyholder is also covered to drive any car not belonging to him or her...'. If this is there you have the cover. Also check the policy wording - sometime there are limitations as to the type of vehicle you can drive and/or who owns it (eg it may exclude cars owned by members of your household).

Bear in mind if you have the cover it is not TPFT as you mentioned above, but TP ONLY - ie there is no fire/theft cover for the vehicle whilst it is parked up etc whilst in your care.
    Edited by: MrBen

9. MrBen Forum Junkie

Not true. It depends on the policy.