Higher oil pressure after fitting an oil cooler

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Hilux, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Hilux Forum Member

Hi all,

I have researched the web and have inconclusive results.

Its a track day Mk1 with ABF and it had high oil temps on very hot days on track so I fitted a 16 row Mocal oil cooler in front of the rad behind the lower valance open section (no bumpers) I did not remove the OEM water/oil intercooler and used 1/2" ID pipe and used large radius swept bends on the cooler ends only (not short 90 degree bends)

Before hand the engine ran to 100psi when cold and around 80psi when warm on WOT and revving hard and about 25psi at idle

Now it will top 100psi when cold so I let it warm up before WOT and it has 35psi at idle when warm and will run at 100psi at WOT when warm.

Both pipes run warm from start up and then hot after the thermostatic valve opens at about 80 degrees (read off a Stack gauge) and the cooler surface is evenly hot so no blockages.

Its using a good quality 10-40 semi synthetic.

It suggests to me that there is increased resistance in the system but I thought I might see a pressure drop after fitting it.

Is this the norm as I worry if the pressure is being measured before the cooler that a big pressure drop is occurring after the cooler that I don't see.

Am I worrying over nothing?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Lower oil temps = higher oil viscosity = higher pressure for a given oil pump speed?

3. 16vlover Forum Member

interested to see what answer you get on this. I plan to build a 16g60 motor and install a oem mk1 external oil cooler on it

4. mickey marrows Forum Member

Is the cooler before or after the filter in the system?

5. Hilux Forum Member

It's on a Mocal sandwich plate so believe it is therefore in line with the engine oil supply system and assume after the filter but may be wrong on that score but assume any supply is post filter?

6. mickey marrows Forum Member

Yeah, true with a sandwich plate... I have a remote filter as well as cooler and remember that the pressure was different when I wrongly put the cooler pre filter. Maybe the sandwich plate is inducing a little extra back pressure somehow?
    I'd recommend calling Think and discussing it with them, they're always very profesional and Matt was always a mk1 GTI man...

7. Hilux Forum Member

Just another thought..............I have a smaller (Polo) oil filter fitted to miss the front cross member - I wonder if that would add back pressure?