hit and run 'claimed' stolen car wrote off my golf. where do i stand?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by paultownsend, Apr 22, 2012.

1. paultownsend Forum Member

last night a hit and run driver did this to my golf. it also hit two other cars and, ripped the tarmac off the road and damaged two walls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

at around midnight my girlfriend and i heard a huge bang and my alarm went off. ran outside to find a mondeo 30 meters down the road crashed in to a wall. the door was open, keys in the ignition and the airbag had gone off. i heard a man on his phone in the adjacent field saying he'd crashed down the road from his house. but i couldnt see the b&stard. he ran off.

police were called, took no real statements, didnt bother looking in the field, gave crash number, waited for recovery of the mondeo and left. no pictures taken by then. another pc went to the registered house of the vehicle, which was insured.

when i woke up i was fuming at the police as they showed no real consideration, and i felt i already knew the outcome. i rang them up and vented, mainly selfishly at my loss.
    the woman who the car was registered and insured to told the police the car was taken without consent, but she gave a possible three names. they had her keys ffs!

so at the moment a hit and run with a stolen car has taken away my 5 years work. the woman definitely knows who took the car but wont confess. where can it go from here?

im fully comp with our forum sponsor greenlight, insured through highways. they said they had to recover the car as it was dangerous to the public. to be fair, it had been ripped open like a can of beans. so its with the recovery company with no charge until they can asses the damage. it wont be repairable.

where do i stand from here? i have a feeling that i have to claim. i cant get to work without a courtesy car. i cant borrow a car from anywhere else as my girlfriend needs hers. do i loose all my no claims discount?

the police have passed the incident to CID and assure me they are taking it seriously. they will take forensic evidence in the mondeo. the driver is faced with theft of a vehicle, criminal damager and leaving the scene of an accident. but they dont yet know who he is. but how hard can they press the owner of the car? she obviously knows something. is there any way of getting her with perverting the cause of justice?

[:^(]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Ah man that sucks! The damage looks pretty bad.
    I cant help with your questions sorry but just wanted to say how annoyed i am for you!
    Where does it go from here? I would grab a baseball bat...[:x]

3. paultownsend Forum Member

if i had caught him i would definitely of had a night in the cells. im not a angry person but this just just made my blood boil.

im just not sure that as they have recovered my car, the claim has to be followed through

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Thats Terrible but looks a write off.:thumbd:

5. paultownsend Forum Member

the insurers have already said they wont repair it. i hope, but think it will have damaged the h&r roll bar and weitec coilover. the abf will see another day, but in the classifieds :(

6. Stewy

Stewy Paid Member Paid Member

I belive its possiable even though she may not have been driving its insured to her so dont claim of your insurance claim of hers as she is still liable...

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

I thought driving without insurance was an 'owner responsible' offence, as above ^^

Have the police done anything sensible like check phone records of her bloke?

8. paultownsend Forum Member

'trust us, we are the experts' is what they said when i suggested that mike.
    im getting ahead of myself i think. its only been 18 hours. i just worry for my ncb.
    i phoned a few of the big companies today asking for quotes given my current situation. on a 1.4 fabia it was twice as much as my abf'd golf.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yeah, trouble is that experts can have other priorities than solving your crime.

10. paultownsend Forum Member

oh yes. the two pc's have three days off so cant be contacted. they made sure they told me that last night.
    when i used to watch the bill CID were a big deal. should i be more confident as they have passed it to their 'serious crimes' unit?

11. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

*******!!!!! I hope you get it all sorted out without loosing out any more than you already have.

12. paultownsend Forum Member

13. muppet9966 Forum Member

Gutted for you mate

14. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

That's real gutting.

I think as an injured party you have the right to have you vehicle repaired to it's former condition - you should be claiming off the other party's insurance on this - regardless of who was driving. I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of getting your own insurance to pay for anything other than legal costs (which your policy would probably cover).

Get quotes from bodyshops to repair your car, and submit that claim to the MIB.

15. paultownsend Forum Member

came from this direction

[​IMG]

hit the yeti

[​IMG]

Hit my golf which smashed the volvo

[​IMG]

gouges in road from his tyre coming off

[​IMG]

trailing marks on the road

[​IMG]

where it hit wall back on the other side of the road

[​IMG]

and it stopped here due to no wheel!

[​IMG]

thats nearly 70 meters in total!

16. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I suspect that they'll just laugh at you.

If the car wasn't being driven by the policyholder or a named driver they won't cover any loss regardless of whether the policyholder gave her permission or not.

17. CovGTi Forum Member

I know if I could afford it I would get a lawyer onto this.

Insurance companies are the biggest waste of space and air on earth...no sorry in the universe and also the surrounding ones.

Sorry to hear this. I hope you get it sorted [:^(]

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

definately speak to a professional about it

maybe even speak to one of those "claim to gain" places, they will know straight away if you have any sort of claim against the tp

if you dont, youll have to claim off your own insurer and you will lose NCB etc etc

so find out your answer asap really

19. paultownsend Forum Member

thankfully i paid extra for protected no claims.

both greenlight and highways have assured me they can recover costs off the insurer of the mondeo.
    even though it was twok'd

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if they claim back all of the money paid out to you, then your ncd stays intact