Hit (dink) & run- advice reqd regards approach to repair/notification

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by ambrose89, Nov 14, 2017.

1. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

my car
    2000 2.0 vw golf mk3.5 aventgarde convertible, power hood, navy, 80k, FSH, new clutch, lamdba all in all quite tidy so was hoping to sell on for whatever its worth between 1000-2000.

found a note under wiper last night at fuel station, ..'sorry i've hit you, couldn't stop, appointment to attend, first name and number left.

damage is not too bad, graze down to plastic on side of rear bumper and top of rear arch is pushed in ever so slightly (1mm or 2)

I called and left a message on the guys answer phone, and have just received a text saying he'll catch up later today.

what's the best way to deal with this?

report to police?
    report to insurance company ?
    informally (get a quote, then ask for the cash ? - whats the guarantee that i get it ?

basically whats the best/easiest/definate way i get this sorted without the risk of my car being classed as uneccomonic or not getting the money from the bloke?

I'd gestimate a local touch place would do the work for 100-300 ?

any advice or experiences shared appreciated ?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  2. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

3. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I had a woman reverse into me at a Car park where I used to work (she worked in a different building to me on site, so didn't know her) I was sat in my car when it happened it damaged the paint on my front bumper, grille and cracked the number plate and said she would pay I got her name and mobile number and three quotes for the work then let her choose which one and she paid me a cheque for the cheapest amount. Private work is cheaper than insurance jobs but just get a few quotes for the repairs don't take the mick on prices as I would.say the more reasonable the quote the happier they will be to pay and keep the conversation polite as if you don't upset them they may be more likely to pay. Was there any cctv at the garage of the incident at the garage.

ambrose89 likes this.
  4. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

3-500 I reckon to fix that properly

Go and get some quotes then let them decide if they dont want to pay ring your insurance

ambrose89 likes this.
  5. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

Thanks all.

I contacted the bloke, he was quite reasonable and resigned to coughing up which he did, a guy I know from my local has quoted a price of 250 so will get it in for sorting soon.