Hobby aluminium welding - anyone do this?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by A.N. Other, May 2, 2012.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It seems a pro job requires a TIG set, but at various motorshows there'd often be a bloke with what passed for a blow torch and a few bits of aluminim, showing everyone how simples it all was - in theory.

Either way, what have you tried, and what realistically is the minimum kit requirement for some home DIY bodgery and upwards?

2. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Its more braising and they make it look easy! it is doable but the stuff just turns to liquid so filling gaps is a no go and it doesn't make a strong bond like welding does. For what I needed I tacked it with the mig on pure argon and ali wire then finished the join with the braising rods, it was a aluminium pressured steam container and it's held fine.

3. Admin Guest

I have done some testing with brazing rods, i was not that happy with the end reults, sometimes when cooling down i found the filler material would crack away from the material i was brazing! Also noted that on alloys of a useful standard it did not take at all well, it formed the best joints on near pure alumium, but these joints were not particularly strong when tested. I imagine it is as much skill as well as prep that gets the best results and i parcticed a fair bit, but was never impressed with the results.

4. danster Forum Addict

Need to get big EssThree (alias the Glenster) fired up for this thread. I am aware he invested in a TIG recently seeing as he was not buying any petrol this year. ;) :lol:

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i'v done a bit of aluminum tig welding mostly avon stator blades lupo gti sumps and alloy wheels

needs a tig welder that can be set to AC

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  6. MUSHY 16V

the aluminum brazing rods i'v see are HTS 2000 one
    good for some things not so good for others
    not good for things like building up the edge of a wheel
    but it would be good for brazing pipe into flanges

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

^ As above and as I said pure argon and obviously ali wire in the mig and it is possible but the most I can manage is a few tacks, with lots of time and patience it would be doable to do complete runs but anytime Iv tried Iv messed it up at somepoint and got too annoyed.

9. MUSHY 16V

mike mig would easer than tig welding aluminum

some mig welder need a different liner for the torch for using aluminum wire
    worth waching

10. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I got a loan and spent 3000+ on an AC Tig recently.
    I help make these for an artist:

[​IMG]

It can be fairly tricky at times, but running a bead along a sheet is pretty easy - most people could pick it up in an afternoon. The modern inverter machines help alot. But if you want to get serious, there is a lifetime of knowledge to learn!
    I don't really deal with anything massively structural or life threatening. Although you can clearly see (whilst welding) if the weld has penetrated and is going to be strong.
    You can Mig chunkier aluminium but there is far less control. I imagine it would be fine if you where skilled and trained.

You can buy an AC Tig for 1200 maybe (?) and it will be able to do the job. But maybe not as well, and maybe not for as long! If you spend good money, you get a 3 year warranty and back-up by people who are not salesmen. Take a look at LORCH products.

11. samfish

samfish Forum Member

PS:
    I have seen the guys at motorshows, who seem to join aluminium like that. I am sure it is fine for clips and dashboard pieces, and it looks so easy and handy for small jobs.

12. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

aluminium

mig welding aluminium as said is a standard process, tig gives ultimate control however.

depends on the job and the welder i guess, BTW i aint an expert! lol

baz

13. MUSHY 16V

you get aluminium arc welding rods as well but i never found them that good