Hole in Gearbox!!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Viper, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Viper Forum Member

My car was sounding very rough today and when I acceleratethe car 'judders' quite a bit. Also the gears were getting harder to select and when I had a poke about I found a hole in the top of the gearbox near the back where the selecter levers are.

Here are some poor photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very bizzare! What could have caused this? Is this related to the juddering when accelerating too would anyone know?

Thanks for any help and if anyone has a 16v box at low price;) .

Also what would be the code for my gearbox? Its an F reg but is there somewhere on the car that would tell me.

Cheers guys!

2. mk1. Forum Junkie

another one spat a diff rivet out,common problem [:s] code is 2y?

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Diff Rivet has sheared and thrown itself out.

I've had about 8 boxes do this one me... and one i just blew the gears on the diff! :lol:

4. Viper Forum Member

Oh right. So new gearbox needed then? Does anyone have a cross-section pic to show the part that has come out? Or will it be on etka?

Cheers for the help.

5. Viper Forum Member

Also what exactly is this rivet from? Would it be easy to replace the internal parts of the diff with those from an 8v box (are they the same?) and just weld up the hole?

Any help appreciated. Now desperate to get this on the road now. Having to get bike fixed cos I need transport!

Cheers all

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Easier just to get a secondhand box - and a lot cheaper too. That's exactly why I have a large stock of them.... :lol:
    A nice bit of design by VW.

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

someones been spinning up the wheels with lock on haven't they.

theres a kit where you can replace the rivets with bolts isn't there...may be an idea before puttin a replacement in.

8. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Another one bites the dust :lol: .
    Think most people on here are aware that the 020 boxes which have had hard lives have tendencys to spit the rivet heads throught the case.
    Cheapest way is to find a second hand box, and really hope it doesn't happen again. Or better still buy a 2nd hand box and have a it rebuilt for piece of mind.

9. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

and i know exactly who to get to rebuild it...

10. Viper Forum Member

Okay cheers guys. Will have to carry on the search then! Does anyone have a box that they want to sell me?

I'm told hotgolf rebuilds them. Also, I never wheelspin my car and never even have it on full lock cos told it puts a lot of strain on the pas belt or something, so I haven't been abusing it like you'd think. Prob in a previous life...

Cheers guys

11. dohc Forum Member

ive just fitted an "ebay special" alleged recent recon gbox into my valver and now have my old one sitting in the front room.... (thanks to andy from hove - t'is running a treat!!)

its got rattly bearings in second and also has some synchro issues but is a runner. for the effort you'd go to in fitting the wee bugger it'd be worth getting a full recon job done on it - but at least the housing is in good shape - its off a well kept '89 (g reg) valver (its an 020 2Y). some minor damage occured when the clutch end of the housing met with the teeth of the fly wheel on extraction but is only superficial and internal to the clutch housing.

no ads please, use your noddle ;)
    :)
    Edited by: jonboy

12. Admin Guest

yeah yeah yeah!!! :lol:

mine did the same in the 8v, blew itself to bits [:^(]

you found one then?

13. scottgroovez Forum Member

You've had 8 go the same way?
    Jeeze, if you know it's a weak point and there's a different part you can fit to prevent this from happening, then why not do it before fitting the replacement box?

14. g60 pb Forum Member

:lol: He did.......