home broadband - wifi works fine, wired does not!

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Wez, Feb 26, 2013.

1. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

This is a weird one, for a couple of weeks now my internet has been dropping out, I put it down to the isp, so I checked the tablet and phone when it goes out and they work fine. [:s]
    so, my internet is fine, wifi is working great, but not over wires, on 2 pc's.
    background - my house system is ran over homeplugs, when it goes down I run diagnostics through windows and resetting network adaptor and getting new i.p settings never works, sometimes it'll resolve itself after 30 seconds, 80% requires me resetting the router/modem which is on the same plug as the main homeplug, so that gets reset as well.

dying modem or my homeplugs ****ing up?

suppose it doesn't matter either way as long as wi-fi works, as I managed to find an old adapter and despite having built this pc 6 yrs ago, have just discovered it has built in wireless, which is strange, as i'm sure that usually requires fitting an aerial somehow and I haven't done that :s

would be nice to know still though as I might sell on my homeplugs if they're fine - they cost a pretty penny.....

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

only thing i can think of is something is causing interferace in the power cabling, id start by unplugging as many things as possible and see if that helps? look for things that might turn themselves off and on randomly during the day, e.g. ignitor for your boiler and whatever

3. WEZ

would it have to be something new, or could something that didn't cause interference just start acting up...

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

these things do happen, but tbh prob worth waiting for someone with a clue to answer i could be talking right out of my rear!

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

Think you should first try isolating the problem before switching things off and on.

It could be a dodgy cable going to or from the homeplugs, is there one or two homeplug connected to the modem?
    If its only one feeding your 2 computers its most likely the patch cable is damaged.

If its not that, can you move one of the wired computers temporarily next to the modem and plug it directly?
    If the wired connection now works its your homeplugs at fault, if it refuses to work its your modem.

6. WEZ

there's 4 homeplugs about the house, each device runs it's own separate one.
    My first thought was to plug a cable directly into the modem, but both are desktops and that's just hassle tbh - i'll have to borrow a laptop...

7. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Homeplugs are evil.

Try and borrow/blag a long length of cat5 cable and see if you can hook up the modem directly to the pc. Also try logging onto the modem and using it's diagnostic functions to assess if it is dropping out, check the SNR on the line - consider using the routerstats program to log the behaviour of the modem for a while.