home studio.....

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by 1550samn, Feb 20, 2011.

1. 1550samn Forum Member

just set the gear up in my bedroom for a shoot tomorrow....... [:D]

this is the set up,
    [​IMG]
    and this is what it produces
    [​IMG]

not great, the set up needs a little tweeking and 1 more light set up and then its nearly there......

2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

If you just chucked out the bed, the table and painted the red wall white, it'd be fine! :lol:

For a small space, I can't see that you need to buy another light, you would probably get away with reflector(s) which are cheaper and greener and cooler.

Good luck with your shoot.

3. 1550samn Forum Member

they would be sufficiant but i have a third light already, it was part of a 3 head kit...... thought i might use it on a boom for above lighting? haha, yes getting rid of my bed would be good however i like it to much to lose it!!! i am going to have a walls white (instead of cream and red) and have wooden laminate flooring layed down..... only until i can have some children to sell in order to afford a real studio.... lol.

4. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Where did you get your kit from Sam?

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

....but i have a third light already, it was part of a 3 head kit...... thought i might use it on a boom for above lighting?

You could try putting it behind the paper backdrop as a backlight, although looking at the pic of the red chair, you seem to have a pretty good set up already.

Who/what are you going to photograph? Or is a just an excuse to get a young lady into your bedroom? ;)

6. 1550samn Forum Member

it is a good set up at the moment, just wana play with different lighting and see what i can get away with...

i did infact have a good looking young lady in my bedroom but it wasnt that kind of shoot...... [:$]
    here is an example of the pics i got....
    [​IMG]

and this is a different set up using a barn door and a soft box (still getting used to using a barndoor, any tips from anyone?)
    [​IMG]

7. 1550samn Forum Member

studio lighting was from ebay, pretty poo kit tbh but it will do for the moment.... ans the back drop is a lastolite product which can take up to 2.72m long rolls of paper like this on beast!!
    [​IMG]

8. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Nice pictures. Especially if you took them in the restricted space in your bedroom. I have an 18 foot living room that I use and still sometimes struggle for space.

I have a Lastolite collapsible background and it is brilliant, but vicious! Bear in mind it is about the size of a double mattress and spring-loaded. I can't usually fold it on my own and have to wait for son to come home to beat it into submission. I gave up after it suddenly unsprung itself and hit me in the face, giving me a black eye :o

9. 1550samn Forum Member

my friend has one of those and i chose not to get one for that very reason!! they can really hurt he rekons!! lol. so thats why i have the paper rolls.... they are a lot less evil and you get the train so your subject can be places on them.....
    i was chuffed with them, i can see the imperfections that are in them and would want a bit more space but until i earn enough to warrent a studio than il have to put up with that.....

10. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

hmmm, this is something that I am looking at getting, Not just yet though, My new lens is coming next month [:D]

11. 1550samn Forum Member

ooooh shiney, whats the lens?

12. 1550samn Forum Member

definatly worth saving for though dude.... F-stop of f/22 @ ISO 100 FOR A 1/200 sec shutter speed means portraits look so so clean and crisp....

13. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

70-200 L series lens! [:D]

14. 1550samn Forum Member

mmmmmmm, L series.... (wipes dribble from chin) im looking at either the Canon 24-70mm F/2.8 or the Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 just cant work out if i can justify the cost.....

15. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

The price difference between the two is crazy.

I am a massive fan of Sigma lenses and this might just have to be my next investment.

16. 1550samn Forum Member

just played with the canon 24-70 and the two sigma 24-70's and the canon one was good but not justifiable agaist the sigma lens in terms of quality compared to cost...... but if you are going to go for the sigma lens go for the one with the HSM motor soooo much better quality.

17. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I've been sat reading reviews and comparisons for the last hour or so and although I would love the Canon one ( I am a bit of a canon whore) for the money the Sigma lens do look good and are affordable. There are tonnes on ebay too. What ever I do I need to make sure that I stick with EF lenses as when I get a full frame one I dont want to have to go and buy new lenses again!