homemade leather door cards

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by G60KG, May 13, 2009.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

cant help re the colour match ...if you sent in a sample and it doesnt match id get back to em and moan , it should be a good match once the rest is cleaned

they have videos on the site that shows you what to do...if you get stuck pm me or get me on msn

2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I didnt send a sample, the colour in the bottle looks right but Im just worried about the 20 year aging the rest of the leather has had, Well just have to take the plunge I guess.

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

id mist a coat over the whole seat if its near enough

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

would I not need to sand the whole seat first and then put the finishing solution on the whole seat aftwerwards, also I bought the small kit

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

to be sure of this , id email them and ask or phone em

but if it was me , id sand up the worn out spots and just do a really good clean on the rest , maybe a suff with the scotch pad. then dust a coat over the ajoining cushions

it might match good anyway....dont take no notice what it looks like in the bottle

6. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I started on the seat, have got to the stage of dabbing on the first coat of colour. Looks a little lighter than the rest but the seat is dirty. I sanded it and bought the filler from them, this is amazing stuff. might spray on the second coat tonight if I get a chance.

PB you may know the answer to this - I thought it was a good idea to use the alcohol to clean some of the bits which i was not going to rework. I done a test patch and its was becoming lighter but then seemed as though the colour may have been coming off with it. Is this normal. What else can I clean it with without removing the protective layer?

I will post up pics when Ive finished

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

they sell a pretty good cleaner ..id use that

id not do more than a quick with the the alcohol on the stuff you want to leave

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I should have ordered the cleaner, Cant be arsed to wait for t to come through so I will start with warm soapy water and see how i get on.

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

tbh mate...id wait

no point in doing a half asses job is there

if you must use soapy water get some woolite washing soap , thats decent but not as good as thier stuff