Hoooooww much?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by JayRyder, May 22, 2007.

1. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

My rubber flange between the carb (2e2, 1.6) and intake manifold has split, since i super glued it together :lol: :lol: now the carb and airbox rocks around on the mani :lol: :lol:

Thought i would ring VW main dealer for a price...... 37.01!!!!!![:x]

Right im off down scrappy for a second hand jobbie for about 2!;)

Piece of rubber for that price, lmao. Carnt wait till i drop on a 2e engine and loom.

Currently doing around 50 miles on 10, could this be down to my flange problem? [:$]

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Carb and airbox will rock about quite alarmingly even on a brand new flange. It's primarily rubber after all.

I paid the same as that price from VAG, and did gasp a bit, I'll admit. GSF are cheaper if you're already getting some other bits; or, if you can find a better one at the breakers, go for it.

I'd expect rough running, rather than excessive 'drinking' as the main effect of a leaking flange.

3. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

Is your choke flap fully vertical when the car's warm?

4. SirGeekalot Forum Member

leaky flanges and choke flaps...

this is like a copy of Viz!!

5. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

:lol:
    Its not just a piece of black rubber, its bonded to some metal too. I'd get a GSF one, a scrapyard one is likely to be just as bad.

6. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

choke flap, will have to check that!

It is running a bit rough, cutting out every now and then, sometimes a lumpy idle, fast revving on start up, massive flat spot if pulling away a very low speed in second, something any other car could manage.

Thing is the car was stood for years before coming back to life, bits on the carb are rusty, it just aint very pretty at all.

What can cause cause excessive drinking apart from sticking choke flap?

boooo, down with peirburgs.

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Something I only recently discovered is that the air correction jets (holes on the top surface of the carb) serve a dual purpose. Their main function in life is to admit air to mix with the fuel in the main (and idle) fuel 'tubes' to form an emulsion which is better atomised on exit from the various outlets. Also letting in atmospheric-pressure air will 'regulate' the rate of fuel uptake through the jets.

However, they have a second purpose, which could easily be overlooked. They act to stop siphoning of the fuel after the 'demand' is removed by vacuum change or shutdown. If one or more of these air holes is blocked with gunk, you may be getting this siphoning effect, and wasting loads of fuel...

A good clean with carb cleaner may sort this (ideally you'd want to 'suck' on these orifices (cue Viz references again) to bring up/out any gunk, rather than forcing it inward/downward, but I'm not too sure how you'd achieve this with the carb in situ). Most stuff'll dissolve in carb cleaner anyway.

:)

8. JayRyder

JayRyder Forum Member

Gonna sort out a flange this week, carbs coming off again and im going to beat it senseless with carb cleaner and various other chemicals. Clean it thoughly and test what ever bits i can test, light +ve to ttv, wax thingy, air box, fuel filter etc

If it dont work after that im gonna get another carb from scrappy and rebuild it/clean it and swap it with mine.

Did the same thing on an old E30 318 i had years ago and it worked better after a good clean.

If all else fails then it will meet the universal adjuster.