Hotmail asking to change password?

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by andypaterson, May 27, 2011.

1. andypaterson Forum Member

Gone to log into my hotmail thismorning and its asking/forcing me to change my password!

Anyone else getting this? Cant be ars*d thinking of a new one!

2. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Yes, seemed abit dodgy but I needed to check my email so just added a number to my old one.

3. andypaterson Forum Member

So you had it aswell? Weird.

I reluctantly changed mine, as there appears to be no way of contacting Hotmail/Live customer support without signing in...even if you cant sign in.

I had to try it on IE and Firefox typing hotmail.com into the address bar to make sure that it's not a Phishing scam...but it all seems legit. Hotmail going through a similar Sony fail?

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Is there a way to download all your hotmail emails onto your pc?

5. andypaterson Forum Member

Not sure directly Mike, but if you can set up a web client like Outlook to get your mail then you should be able to export the emails onto the PC.

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

ok cheers, only asked as i have hundreds from doing my kamei research

7. andypaterson Forum Member

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

9. mathj Forum Member

also had to change my password recently with hotmail

thought it was just me, also as my xbox live account is linked to my hotmail account i couldnt get onto xbox live either, changed password and all is well again

i changed the password to something else and as soon as i could sign into the account with the new password i just changed it back to the old one, working fine now

math

10. andypaterson Forum Member

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there is some kind of email phishing thing going round, somehow it is getting hold of people's hotmail contact lists and then spams them. eventually when enough spams get sent MS make you change your password as they think someone has gained unauthorised access to your account. Ive had this on my account, my wifes account, and also my friends work account.

strange thing is i dont think they actually have gained access to our email accounts directly, so im not sure exactly how they got the addresses. i never use my hotmail account to email people so its not happened that way

12. andypaterson Forum Member

Well they are being quite unhelpful on the MS forum about it:

If they cant confirm thats happened, youd think they would deny its happened! Seems to me like someone has gotten hold of a number of users details a'la Sony, and they're forcing password changes. Though thats probably just the conspiracist in me talking!

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

Surely if they got hold of your user details it would be more beneficial to the criminal not to make you change your details or in fact bring any attention to the account?

14. andypaterson Forum Member

What i'm suggesting is that a third party has hacked Hotmail in a similar way to the recent Sony/PSN fiasco. Microsoft realise this, then play safe and get a group of people who may have been affected to change their passwords as a precaution.

It almost makes sense, aggreived PS3 users angry at being targeted decide to get back by doing the same to MS (moreso Xbox!).

Like i say, i'm 99% sure its not the case, just seems odd that nobody at MS has an answer for what should be a very simple question.

15. andypaterson Forum Member

Finally a resolution.

Turns out that it's related to Hotmail accounts that are linked to PSN accounts. Mine is, therefore I have been forced to change my Hotmail password also, i presume just in case I was using the same password for both PSN and Hotmail (which I wasn't).

Why they can't tell you this information at the time I dont know?!

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

well done, makes sense though bad that Sony didn't warn people about linked email accounts & hotmail for not explaining things.

17. andypaterson Forum Member

I dont really hold this as being Sony's responsibility, moreso that Microsoft should have had a seperate change password screen with an explanation as to why it was happening.

Anyway, alls well that ends well :thumbup: