hottuning/raceland manifold?

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by hooblah, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Many people run streeched tyres on the wrong rim, many people think it is cool to have a chrome and unbolted roll cage in a show car, many bolt on the most expensive coilovers just to slam the car to rip off the sump, many people say KR heads are 'better' ABF heads or even many more say that an 8v has more torques than a 16v.
    Do those many make it right or answer why you must use a cheap brittle copy of a so called 4-2-1 manycrap -sorry manifold , tested and validated in someone's head for Joe B.H.P-Feckless to buy?
    "more laminar flow = more power"...is this your engineering reason...:lol::lol:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

just two add my two pennies worth
    i have a hot tuning manifold on my mk2 1.8 8v golf
    and it is a very nice quality product that has now been on my car for about two years with no problems at all, the manifold is actually meant for the mk3 8v golf gti, but still fits the mk2 engines, if you have a long block then you would have no problems at all with it. the only precaution to take is to put some kind of heat reflactive material on the steering boot of the mk2.
    i heat wrapped my manifold to keep the engine bay temps down and as already mentioned i have not had any problems at all, so Hooblah if you have any questions feel free to message me.
    john

3. hooblah Forum Member

my from basic knowledge of engineering, it is better to have a laminar flow than a turbulent flow. a more laminar flow can be had via a smoother flow. the tubular manifold is internally larger than the stock abf manifold and therefore would let it flow better at high rpm. am i right?
    since nobody can give me hard proof that they are crap quality then i'll have to find out for myself. many on here have said its crap without even seeing it. does that make it a right answer? are any of the other 4 branch manifolds dyno tested? maybe the supersprint is, but who gives a ****. its not going to give me another 10bhp or so on top of the hottuning manifold so it doesnt matter.

give it a few days and then we can settle this debate. if im wrong then i'll accept whatever criticism you can throw at me.

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Here is one short account of the manifold

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=42970&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Which still isn't very helpful.

And 9 pages of VWVortex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4303375-16v-Raceland-header-EBAY/page6

Some people say that thiers fit fine while others have said the manifold doesn't line up with the head and even has flanges that needed re-machining. Kinda seems hit and miss.

You can't achieve laminar flow out of the exhaust ports as then your exhaust manifold would enter into your car.

The Hottining manifold does not come with a link pipe. You will have to make something to bridge between the manifold and the rest of your system.

By the way, that took me all of 5 mins on google to find that info ;)

Gurds

5. hooblah Forum Member

i have found everything that you guys have found except for the vwvortex thread. thanks gurds.

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

But we are not talking aircraft wings here mate...

What high rpm 8K? You did your research didn't you?

Those many on here have real cars with real experiences that get driven hard on track and also driven on the road and have broken more parts than you. I listen to them when they hint so why can't you.

So why not run the factory item and who says there is any gain peak or overall or is it those "many" who said its great!

No debate its your car do as you please, which you have done by all accounts.

7. hooblah Forum Member

i am willing to listen to anyone who has first hand experience with this manifold, but seeing as noone does im not prepared to listen to others opinions.

8. emery1990 Forum Member

Surely though if you say you dont care about getting a super sprint as it nots going to give you 10bhp over the hot tuning one, but i doubt the hot tuning ones going to give you 10bhp over the standard one? its like when people pay milltek 1000 for their 150bhp cars to allow more air flow and 10bhp :clap: 100 per hp which it doesnt even give you 10bhp anyway! lol , i dont know if its true but ive just listened to a popular person who tests things and says whether they give gains or not. he found that no uprated exhaust is needed on the 1.8t untill stage two as its a good system ( audi a3/s3 Ess three)! Im now selling my 4 branch for the reason what toyo and others have said and going back to standard, just listen to them and spend 200 on something else.

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's a forum FFS :lol:

If you solely want first hand experience, go to the mfr, a TUV approver - or get a Which? subscription! (> 10 per year ;) )

10. chrismc Forum Junkie

I really look forward to the rave review then!

No way you are going to agree with the majority opinion now eh?:lol:

You might struggle to find many favourable first hand reviews of said manifold though. Il let you work out why Einstein;)

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

this thread has had me laughing out loud

will be good to see the outcome

12. MJVR6 Forum Member

Cor blimey, Its only a ******* manifold...
    Mate, I have a Raceland on my VR.. No probs with it.
    In regards to Hottuning, am not sure, have had shocks on a car previous, they were pretty shiiite mate.
    But at the end of the day its a piece of metal formed into tubes for the manifold, no bounce like suspension.
    See how much shackle you have in your pocket and make the purchase.
    If anything goes wrong with the item that you purchase, you can then inform others onn Club Gti not to buy it due to the experience you have had!!!!

13. fishnchipsx2 Forum Member

I got hold of a 2nd-hand 8v mk1 4-branch with heatwrap, and got my welder to cut off the flange, plasma cut a 16v-shaped flange, and weld it on (as well as welding on a braided flexi, reducer and lambda boss at the other end).

It fitted straight onto my ABF, and worked out cheaper than buying a 16v-specific conversion fanimold, but unfortunately he forgot that I asked him to weld the flange on at a slight angle to compensate for the taller block - as a result, it fouls the steering rack. But my Caddy has so many rattles anyway, it doesn't bother me :lol: :thumbup:

I plan to slacken off my engine mounts and see if I can re-position the engine to give me a bit more clearance, just need to get round to it. :p

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Opinion = Judgement call, often (but not always) backed up by knowledge and experience.

If you're using a standard engine, this entire thread is a waste of time. Tim Stiles' opinion in his book was that there's no benefit of tubular manifolds on a standard 16v engine.

15. hooblah Forum Member

i asked for information regarding this manifold, not peoples thoughts of how **** it will be. the engine has had a bit of work on the head already and will be using high lift cams in the future.

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

17. Admin Guest

Really?[:s]

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So
    Much
    Win

19. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

mine cost 275 at inters 1997 :thumbup:

and its still going strong.[:D]

Supersprint 4-2-1 [:D]