House extension - self managed experiences?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cupracraig, Nov 8, 2021.

1. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

HI All,

So we have had planning permission on our house extension for about a year now and after finding a builder that promised the world, we have been let down. luckily they never started work due to numerous excuses, but it's left us feeling burnt and looking for other options.

Anyway.. after going over it with the wife almost daily, were thinking of managing the build ourselfs.
    We have the general plan of action that needs to take place and subsequently get the quotes for.

1. Extensions excavated and poured
    2. Damp proofing, drains and concrete floor installed
    3. External walls built
    4. Internal walls built
    5. Roof built and covered
    6. Windows and doors fitted
    7. Electrics and plumbing fitted
    8. Plastering and drying out
    9. Final fixtures installed
    10. Snagging

Were well aware that this will likely take longer but hopefully will give us more control over whats done and the timelines. The old builder was an all in one company but essentially just subcontracted out the different elements of the job. I don't see why i can't do that.

Has anyone managed an extension themselfs and have some feedback on lessons learnt? there seem to be lots of websites on builds, but not many on how people have managed builds and made sure that things like the outside walls were build to spec with the roofer.

any feedback would be great!

cheers, Craig

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Definitely do able, but have to rely on the contractors not letting you down.
    I do most of my stuff myself where I can, but we have just had to wait 7 months for windows, 5 delays on fitting days so it's put other stuff on hold.
    There used to be a guy in your neck of the woods, Roy May, did groundwork and pretty much anything, was a few years ago, he used to be at Chapel Allerton but moved but unsure where.
    It's all just getting organised, but as said it's relying on others, and if they don't mess up the plan.
    We are having trouble with a work project where the plumber has subcontractors to tile and they have now got to site and decided it's not for them after scheduling everything in to do the job!!??!!
    At least if it's an extension its not going to be so disruptive to the rest of the house if there are delays.
    Was it a house or bungalow? Possible to use something like those metal framed internals, or timber?
    Did bits for jasper conrans extension a few years ago and that was framed, clad with slip clad boards (like a McDonald's is built) and was very eco friendly, easy and quick.

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Hey Craig,

I’m not sure of where the law stands on it in the UK, but over here if you let a contractor in to your home - they must have liability insurance. If anything happens to them\you\your home - if you haven’t confirmed that they have cover it’s on you.

4. cupracraig

Its our bunglalow, so single story extension out the side. I'm pretty competent when it comes to work like flooring and i would 100% have a go at window fitting. I guess were just after a dry shell from which we can work on. That should keep the costs down significantly on the build and enable us to save a few quid on the rest

5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Like Dangerous Dave i try to do all this stuff myself. When I did my loft conversion I had the builder do the bare shell and I did everything else. I think doing the same will save you a lot of money and headache. You can pick the best electrician, plasterer, plumber etc etc. Also, you won't have to pay deposits.

6. dodgy

Window fitting can be a bit iffy, no problem fitting, it's the fensa certificate when come to sell. But indemnity insurance covers it, I had it when made lovely gothic arch style hardwood windows in my old house and doors, installed far better than most but new owner insisted on paperwork.
    I had the feeling was a bungalow, but wasn't sure if a dormer style.
    Planning office and building inspector are great, and can give a lot of info, as well as what's online. Friend did a lot of his improvements, windows, doors, wood burner and flue in his present house and extension, conservatory and the like on his previous one, getting stuff signed off along the way.
    There are a lot of decent places to get trusses and things down there in the shire.
    Just get stuff right, the first Glastonbury house I had had a great loft conversion, previous owners got it done, but twice due to not doing homework and getting stuff wrong.
    As @PhilRyder suggests, get a shell up, then can get the rest sorted as you wish, you could even dig the footings like someone I knew did in the afternoon after having the snip!

7. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

Only just seen this.Did you get started on the build if so how’s it going.

8. Adamss24 Forum Member

Self Managing might work for some but not for others ! If you have skill and are able to manage/foresee/solve problems then go4 it however expect to take twice as long but not cheap! Best to find a tradesmen with contacts in the building trade and let them get on with it ! Best you can do is price each job individually and see if you can save money this way ! Where abouts in the country are you based ? My brother has a building company, he is based in London, maybe he could help ? Regards,
    Chris

9. cupracraig

We are back out to tender, but wife has her eye on a builder that we know personally.. we didnt want to use a friend before, but following the last guy messing us about and now putting us back a year.

dodgy likes this.
  10. dodgy

Best of luck with it Craig, and a happy new year to you all.

cupracraig and Vinnie like this.
  11. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

Good luck to mate. I in the process of putting a job right for friends who had a messer do there work. Seems a lot more of them about now.

cupracraig likes this.
  12. stephen stanyer Forum Member

I used a builder who was going to arrange everything. All went wrong near the project end when he was asking for more money over his quote. One of the tradesmen he was using advised me to ask him to leave as he would do his best to have me over if I insisted he finish the job. The result was I ended with a hole in the roof where the snow came into my kitchen half the walls were un plastered and half a garden wall. Trying to find other builders to finish the job was a nightmare. My advice would be unless you know the builder will not have you over pay more and get a good established firm to do the job. The builder I used was highly recomended by the architect tuns out they were big mates.

cupracraig likes this.
  13. Adamss24 Forum Member

Unfortunately it’s the way it is mate, back in 2000 I had my building roofing company, I used to work with a few architects in different commercial and residential projects…it’s the way it goes, you grease the next in line to get the contract at a cheaper rate and make the rest in “extras” ! Don’t get fixed on a fix quote thinking this is it- that’s what I pay (!) materials prices wary and sometimes jobs drag for months in the end ! Be flexible as we are all trying to make money and you are trying to get best finish band top quality for your money however you pay peanuts you get monkey ! That’s the way it goes !