How accurate is calculating bhp from MAF readings?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by GVK, May 10, 2008.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Ross-tech site states

"
    Here's a good sanity check for the status of your MAF. Do a full-throttle run all the way to redline in a single gear (second works fine). Group 002 usually shows air mass in g/s. Your peak airflow should be roughly 0.80 times your horsepower. So, if you have a stock 150 hp 1.8T, expect around 120 g/s. If you have a 201 hp 24V VR6, expect around 160 g/s. If you see significantly less than that, you MAF may be on the way out. This still works if you are chipped, but "race" programs may make more power through timing, rather than airflow. Therefore, take all readings with a grain of salt.
    "

I've done various logs on different cars on vag-com and calculated the bhp from it, suprise suprise it can be less than that car has made on the dyno...

My VR6 shows 152 g/s flat out = 190bhp Has been 200+ at Stealth evertime.
    Claire's R32 with Schrick cams and Revo 215 g/s = 269bhp (pretty close to what it was at Awesome-GTI)
    mk2 20vt with TT lump 177 g/s -221bhp

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions or thoughts on it?

I can check the VR6 without having to strap the laptop in the car now with this

[​IMG]

More details on that in my members motors thread.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It would totally depend on your fuelling - I presume your bit of kit assumes stoich A/F ratios, which aren't the best for power. I'd file it alongside the G-tech for horsepower readings.

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

That's about as far from a proper dyno check as you can get, are you smoking pure crack or cheaping out and doing meth?

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Anymore thoughts on this?

Some new data. Claire's Edition 30 (stock) showed 190 g/s = 237hp rated at 230ps (227hp) so maybe 10bhp out (it had put down 227hp on a DynoDynamics rollers)

She's had a Revo map on the car, have done same test - 226 g/s = 282hp . Revo claim 300bhp.

I know it's not the be and end all but must be 'quite' a good guide?

I also re-checked the VR6 with the C2 software - results were 168 g/s = 210hp

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Gary,
    Airflow is related to torque the engine can produce at a give rpm.
    How best you utilise that airflow to produce optimum torque would be down to the interactions with fuel mixture (13-12.5 combustion lambda for best torque) and spark angle (MBT spark gives best torque for a giving mixture limited by detonation) and general ambient conditions
    Ross' example is a good way to check engine condition and potential torque as most MAF based motors depend on this reading as an actual reference to calculate predicted aircharge at the valve.
    HP is very dependant on torque (load) and engine speed. So you may find peak results may vary.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008