how can i make my 1.8 carb faster?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by clipper, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Lord0pants Forum Member

Alright dude!

I had a 1.8 Driver with Weber and bolt-on... made quite a difference, but then my Pierburg was WAY past it's sell-by date when it was changed. Never had a problem with Carb Icing...

If you are on a budget (like me) then as above, it's the GTI cam... but better still, grab a GTI head (and cam) and stick this on... the GTI head has bigger valves and should give you loads of extra grunt. Obviously you'd need to block the injector holes, this can done by either welding or leaving in the injectors from the GTI (but obviously you don't want to pay for injectors that you wont ever use!)You could also get the head skimmed a bit to increase the compression- cost me 23!!! Make sure you take the time to clean out the head if it's second hand- you might want to refurb it with new components- which is also cheap... JUST REMEMBER that any changes you make to the engine, you'll need the carb re-jetting!!!
    (So do all engine modding before getting it rejetted after the exhaust is fitted!)
    Asthmatic carbs shouldn't be a problem on any 1.8 so long as the Carb is at least 32/34 DTML (by Weber)

Anyway, goodluck with the project mate!

Let us know how it goes!

Alex

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Well it's the same (or pretty similar) to a Mk1 GTi engine.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can fit the head and cam on your clipper, and check the exhaust manifold and downpipes as well, if they were left on it. As his Lordship above says, you'll need to block up the injector holes (I think they're on the head, rather than the manifold, but have a look).

You should be able to get injectors to fit the holes out of a scrapper, or someone on here said they'd screwed coins in under the injector inserts and sealed round them. Sounds well dodgy to me though, to be honest.

Just had a thought...not sure if the Mk2 GTi Manifold and Downpipes will fit the cabby body shape, as it's basically a Mk1. You'll have to check with some of the Mk1 boys what your options are.

3. Lord0pants Forum Member

Mike here makes a good point!
    Especially where the Mk.1 shape is concerned (I totally forgot about that aspect! [:$] [:$] [:$] )
    I'm sure the clipper Engine is the same as my Driver (GU!? Anyone?) and therefore you can use a Mk2 Digifant head (injectors are in the head not manifold so that's useful).
    Your only concern will be exhaust manifolds- but I'm way out of depth on Mk.1 engine bays!

You are indebted to Mike though- my idea could have caused you a headache if you weren't aware! [8(] [8(]

Cheers Mike! :thumbup:

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Surely he can fit a MK1 GTI head/manifold/exhaust then, they had the 1.8 GTI engine as standard?

5. Lord0pants Forum Member

Again a good call- the question is- how easy are mk1 (1.8) GTI heads to find?- are they simply the same as early mk2 GTI heads? If they are... then any Mk1 or Mk2 head would surely fit... I have no knowledge of 8v k-jet heads- do the injectors fit directly into the head (as in the digifant) or are they manifold mounted!?
    [:s] [:s] [:s]
    Bloody hell- mind you, it really makes no difference- so long as he leaves the injectors in where necessary...

So....assuming that both head types will fit, it's just a case of getting the one that is cheapest/readily available.

I suppose it depends on mileage if you factor in the 'budget' aspect... an older head is likely to have done more miles and therefore may need more work and thus cost more...

Ah well- we provide the answers to the questions...

Goodluck 'Clipper'!!!

6. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I have a 1.8 gu engine which is mildly tuned.
    Its got a weber 32/34 replacement carb
    Ported head (best thing I've had done to the engine)
    Piper fast road cam
    4 branch manifold
    Supersprint GrpA system.

This produced 106bhp at the wheels and feels pretty quick.