how can you tell the differences between the mk4 tdi's

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by altern8, Aug 29, 2008.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

Hey

My bro is after a mk4 tdi but how can you tell the differences between the 110/130/150 versions?

Cheers
    Craig

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

Apart from some confusing and unreliable 'company rep' det**ls about which of the Tdi letters are in red, the way I'd use (given that a car has its' original engine) is to check the paper sticker, which gives the engine code and output, in Kw. The sticker is placed in the luggage compartment, either under the mat, in the spare wheel well, or on the inside of the rear panel. There may be a duplicate inside the cover of the service booklet.

The conversion factor from W to (b)hp is to multiply by 0.0013, and for Kw to hp multiply by 1.341. The engine figures are rounded off, so 110hp is actually just over 82 Kw, 130hp is just short of 97Kw, and 150hp almost 112 Kw.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

the 110 has a big injection pump on the front with 4 pipes running off it, under a engine cover thats help down with 3 10mm nuts under plastic caps. Timing belt cover also fairly wide at the top (covers the injection pump pulley)

the 130 & 150 almost identical, difference being the boost pipe into the inlet manifold
    the 130 comes from behind the drivers side headlamp, small inter cooler in wheel arch
    the 150 comes from the passengers, by the gearbox bell housing as the inter cooler is front mounted in front of the rad
    engines the same apart from remap for FMIC;)

going to update my build thread, engine started as a 110 mk4 unit.

4. altern8 Forum Junkie

exavtly what I was after thanks

people say check the rear badge but its easily changable

5. James_mk2 Forum Member

Yep the badge means booger all, kW rating is the best way, and generally anything with 5 gears or black plastic rub-strips etc is the really low powered ones!

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

black rubbing strips can still be the 110 though can't they? just not a gt tdi version.....

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the way i understand it the 110 was not a PD engine and the 115/130/150 are
    the 115 has a smaller turbo than the 130 dont no what the 150 has
    all gt tdi's have six speed gearbox's color coded locks and bumper strips and gti interior
    and suspension some but not all have a rear spoiler
    was going to say my car but i never get to drive it so the wife's car
    is a inport 115 gt tdi with winter pack 16" alloys and air con tow bar rear spoiler from new
    uk spec cars tend have rear seat's with two head rest's and center arm rest and a lap belt
    ware imports have three head rests and the center seat has a proper seat belt
    and all mk4 seam to have cheep spanish suspension bushes that last on more than
    18 months before thay start to go
    but other than that not a bad car

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the 110 gt tdi's came with 5 speed boxes, all 115 gt tdi's were 6 speed.

9. MUSHY 16V

my car is a 2001 what years did thay do the 110 gt tdi

10. James_mk2 Forum Member

up until 99/2000 i believe, mine is early 2000 and is the 115PD

11. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

the 115 and 130 are the same, same turbo etc, but the 130 has slightly bigger injectors and remap to account for this.

the pd comes with a 6 speed box, unles its a later 100bhp model then its only 5 cogs.

Ill do a full list tonight of all the differances of each model etc as it will take me a while.[:$]

12. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

wasn't the pd150 the self destructing engine that was less tuneable than the pd130?
    I can vaguely remember an article from 4 or 5 years back that mentioned it.

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

good info keep it comming :)

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

both same engine, it's the owners that rag the engine hell, more so on a 150!

seen few pd's that have had issues with wear on the camshaft mainly - other issues related to oil starvation.
    this happens for 2 reasons i know of
    1. incorrect oil - it does need 5-30w pd spec oil, even if the manual says 10-40W is ok
    2. The oil temps in a pd unit are stupid high, using stock cooling. light throttle (on boost) motorway cruising talking 130'C oil temp rising to 150'C after pounding (photo evidence @home;) )
    look for service history at dealer or vw independent for more piece of mind

15. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

as above, cams only wear if the wrong oils used. my pd has been run on vag oil from day one. changed every 10k (egnore the variable long life service, do it every 10k/1 year min!) and its now nudging 200k with no wear at all! if looked after these engines are the dogs! will go, and go, and go!

The different units are:

SDI - no turbo 77bhp iirc, good on fuel, but useless and gutless for most things,

90bhp - normally all silver tdi on mk4 golfs...but dont assume the badges are always right, - old skool rotaor injection unit, spotted by the rotoar pump on the front of the engine with a metal fuel line going to each cylinder. older style engine as fitted to the mk3 golf etc but not a bad motor, they cant be tuned too much though in the way of remaps/tuning boxes like PD engines.

110bhp - normally silver TD and red I - uprated tweaked version of the 90bhp, not much different really but again a trooper of engine if looked after and les complicated than a PD.

both the 90 and 110 have a side mount intercooler and were fitted from 1998 to 2002, with the 110 being fitted to GT TDis so watch out, if its a gttdi with only 5 cogs its only a 110bhp.

115bhp PD (pumpe dousse) - Silver T red D and I - fitted from 99ish to early 2001 in the mk4 golf, but still going in other cars like the audi A4 etc - this is the first of the PD engines, fuel is pumped into a chamber built within the injection unit, where it is compressed to extreme pressures by the use of a second cam unit before being injected into the engine at the correct moment, (50% at around tdc and then the remaining occurs during combustion to give a dual pressve vs volume diagram which prove the engine is more efficent as half the combustion takes place at constant volume and half at constant pressure - see 4 years at uni pays off)

these engines use a variable vane turbo where the boost pressure is controlled by vanes which move to alter the pressure the turbo provides, basicaaly meaning 1 turbo can do the job of 2 - 1 big one for big boost but has lag, and a small one for low boost, but low lag - they also have a side mounted intercooler like the 90 and 110bhp models, mounted infront of the right hand wheel with air fed fron the front vent.

these engines MUST be run on the correct oil and serviced by the book! failure to do so leans to big bills as cams wear rapidly and will take the tappets with them too. if they are well looked after they are very reliable. the only fault really is head gaskets can weep after 150k, but this is easily sorted and with a new gen gasket they are good for another 150k!

big power can be got from the PD engines easily by the use of re-mapping the ECU or tuning boxes. with one of these fitted the power of a 115bhp engine becomes 145bhp or so, making for a very good engine which will still return 50+mpg!

130bhp PD - this is a update of the 115bhp engine using slightly larger injectors and a modded map on the ecu, other than that they are the same. these engines were fitted from 2001 onwords but there is overlap with the 115 by 6months or so..

when a remap / tuning bax is added to a 130bhp engine the outcome is around the 170-180bhp mark again with out any real loss in economy so still around the 50mpg mark.

150bhp PD - this again uses the same base 1.9 block as the others, but it comes with a larger turbo, larger injectors again, and a front mount intercooler fitted to the rad pack with the aircon and engine rad, meaning the front pannel is slightly different too to allow clearance. the ecu is also mapped differently. if fitted witha re-map / tuning bax 200bhp is possible, but the economy is a little lower than the others.

the 150bhp engines tend to get driven harder, so its even more important the service histor is complete and a up to scratch otherwise it could a ticking bomb before it breaks.

All the above PD engines come with a 6 speed gear box, if it doesnt have a 6 cog box its not a 115,130 or 150bhp engine

There is also a 105bhp PD engine which was fitted later on to fill the gap the dropping of the 115bhp engine left. this engine ran from 2001 - 2004 when the mk4 ended and is still fitted in mk5s etc.

this engine is a detuned 130bhp engine with smaller injectors and a more economical engine map. the car also only comes with a 5 speed gear box. take note. but the above rules on servicing and tuning still apply, if its remped it will still see a healthy 125+bhp without a drop in ecconomy.

You can also tell the engine by the engine code as printed on the car id sticker in the boot and in the hand book front page. - ill get the full list up asap.

16. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

engine codes from the ETKA as fitted to golfs and boras..

SDI (68bhp)
    AXR, AQM, AGP,

90bhp
    AGR, ALH,

110bhp
    AVG, AHF, ASV,

100bhp (PD engine) + updated 105bhp
    AXR, ATD, BKC (105bhp fitted from 10/03 - 05-06 in golf) BEW (100bhp fitted to Bora from 07/03 abroad)

115bhp (PD engine)
    AJM (High torque as fitted to GTis and some others like SE models) AUY (slightly lower torque as fitted to S models etc)

130bhp (PD engine)
    ASZ

150bhp (PD engine)
    ARL,

I think thats them all covered, inc some over seas ones..

17. MUSHY 16V

the 115 has a different turbo from the 130
    the 115 is 038253019N the turbo outlet is straigh down
    and the 130 is 038253016F and the outlet is to the side
    i found this out when i got spare turbo for my 115 gt tdi
    the scrap yard gave my a 130 tdi turbo
    it will fit the 115 but needs a diffrent pipe to the intercooler
    130 and 150 are a stronger engine to 115 the pistons and barings and so on are different
    the cylender head are all the same

18. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

ahh i never knew that, id read they were the same with the same vnt too. every days a scool day. I also suspected things were beefed up a little in the 130s and 150s but never read anything to confirm this.

19. MUSHY 16V

ye never knew till the mass air meter went tits up
    and started look in to what was wrong
    hence the second hand turbo but a bit of a dead end in the end
    but handy to have as a spare
    there is some crazy power being made with DP engines
    have you got a tuning box
    i fancy one if they are any good

20. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I have a dragon box on my 115, makes it 145bhp, pulls like a train and still uses sod all fuel. just make sure its a proper one that plugs inline with the injector wiring and comes from a proper company, there are some cheap resistor boxes out there that do sod all but mess up the signal and cause over fueling. very bad! a good box should be 300+ or they come up on ebay every so often for good money