How much pedal travel?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Greenmk1, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Greenmk1 Forum Member

On my Mk1 brakes there seems to be quite a bit of pedal travel before the brake actually start to work.
    There's no air in the system because its been bled with about 3 litres of new brake fluid and each time, the fluid that is drawn off is completly clear and free of bubbles.
    Is this the norm or is there something else that i can adjust to take up the slack?

2. zak. Forum Member

It Is normal to an extent, making sure the self adjusting rear brake mechanism inside the rear drums is working correctly greatly helps matters.

Also i have been told that the pedal to servo cross linkage can be adjusted to take out slack although i haven't done this myself.

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

They all feel a bit wooden on Mk1's due to the cross linkage to the master cylinder on RHD cars. You can tighten and adjust the linkage but fitting braided hoses and bleeding/adjusting the brakes is probably as good as it'll get without modifying/replacing the servo etc.

4. essex_lad Forum Member

Whoa !

What you can do is adjust the Handbrake cables.

Jack up the rear end, make sure the rear wheels spin freely with the handbrake off. Now tighten the cables at the handbrake end until both wheels start to bind when the handbrake is pulled up one notch and can't be moved by hand at all when the handbrake is pulled up two notches.

Works everytime !
    Edited by: essex_lad

5. Greenmk1 Forum Member

Handbrake cables have been adjusted just like you say essex_lad and i also have braided hoses. Think i'll have a look at adjusting the linkage this weekend.