how much power thru 020?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by scottymk2, Nov 16, 2005.

1. scottymk2 Forum Member

Hi,

just wondering what power a 16v 020 gearbox can take.. im building a turbo 2.0 16v as we speak and just wandering if the 020 gearbox can definately take it?

cheers

scott
    Edited by: scottymk2

2. hotgolfgirl Forum Member

I'd be looking into a well made crown and pinion with a bolted LSD if your going to keep the 020.

3. Lod_Dub Forum Member

it depends how you drive it! i would trust it up to about 250 - 300bhp with a LSD, but you got to go easy on it if you want it to last. if you going to fit an LSD, you might as well put the extra money in and switch to an 02A box. look on vortex for ppl making custom mounts, u can pick a set up quite cheap. a rebuilt 02A with a LSD should be good for your 300bhp+ needs.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

With a turbo 16V, I'd provisionally say 'no way'.

If you go sprinting, definitely not.

If you want to enjoy the performance on a few B-roads, without ragging it to death, maybe.

5. scottymk2 Forum Member

so it is only the front mount on the 02a that is different to the 020? (obviously the clutch is also different), also, is the clutch cable the same setup and are these boxes cable or rod? im keen to stick with rod boxes!!

im not intending to do any majorly extreme driving.. just a bit of ragging, and the odd 1/4 mile day.

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Mine`s not died yet, helix clutch isn`t up to the job though (maybe what`s saved the box..).

7. hotgolfgirl Forum Member

I'm gonna be using a rebuilt 020 in my 16v 2.1 mk1 for sprints. I'll let you know how it goes:lol:

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Stealthwagon used to run an 020 in his 16vt, no diff either, he did say he was gentle with it in lower gears tho.

He's changed to an 02A with mix n match ratios now.

9. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

"gentle"?????

can someone explain that to me please?

10. vrbanana Forum Junkie

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:...... sorry Im just wiping a tear out of the corner of my eye, you know what its like when you laugh so hard it makes you cry....

020 has all on coping with a mildly tuned 16v (depending on whos driving), the 02A isnt the most popular box but itll be more reliable and save you from spending the weekends changing the box (like Tub & GVK) ;) :lol:

11. GVK

Gentle is the opposite of agressive Paul :lol:

Daz, fair point :lol:

12. Carl loader Forum Member

Sorry to jump on the bandwagen, but im putting an ABF into a mk2 digi early next year and am not sure what gearbox to go for. Ill only be using the car on the road and the engine will be standard, but i didn't know if my 020 8v box will cope? Would the 16v mk2 box be alot stronger or are they just as bad as the 8v?

Only other option i thought of was using a box from a mk2 ibiza gti 16v, as these are cable operated clutch, so it would make it fairly easy to install. I don't want to go down the road of using a box with a hydraulic clutch as im on a limited budget and can't be bothered with all the extra work (unless anybody out there thinks its not that hard let me know)

Cheers for any help you can give me

13. steved Forum Member

2.1 in sprints what class are you going to enter?

14. hotgolfgirl Forum Member

Not a competition car, just the old santa pod outing and all that caper. After spending far too much money on paint etc it'll be going to a few show and shines rather than track days!
    Edited by: hotgolfgirl

15. steved Forum Member

Oh thought you might cheat and enter 1400-2000

16. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I know a guy who did an ABF swap on his mk2, but decided to keep the 16v 020.

it blew up after less than a month.

he then went through 3 9v 020 boxes as he couldn't find any 16v ones

he then got p1ssed off and sold the car....and wished he'd fitted an 02a and a vr6 in the first place, which the new owner did!

17. KeithMac Forum Junkie

It must be to do with setting off or harsh gearchanges? (as well as the crappy design).

18. GVK

Or being built by muppets? :lol:

19. scottymk2 Forum Member

lol i spose it is a bit of a crappy design, but i am kind of attached to the 2nd gear crunchiness now!:p

besides, heel and toeing it is fun, but is it just the front gearbox mount that is different?? also, are there rod 02A gearboxes? and are they the same clutch cable type?

also.. any1 know what clutch would be good to try on a 16vt? i was going to go for a sachs power clutch?

20. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Don`t think the Sachs will be up to the job, maybe a paddle, depends what you want torque wise out of the engine.

At least you can laugh about it Gary :p.