How reliable is a Passat?

Discussion in 'Passat' started by Mark16v, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Mark16v Forum Member

Quite fancy one of these and since I've had so many running problems I've been looking out for something comfortable and reliable more to the point, but still nice to drive. Most within my price range have covered around 120,000 miles (1.8T Sport I'm looking for). Just wondered how reliable these are and if bits are gonna need replacing regularly like on my valver?

Any comments gladly appreciated as I've just about given up on my golf as its far too unreliable. Girlfriend is fed up of me constantly fixing it and so I am to be frank. Used to enjoy playing with it but its a chore now and I can't afford to continually replace bits and pieces every month

2. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

all the powertrain is nice and strong, gearboxes don't even go crunch like crappy vw ones do (it's an audi gearbox).

Test drive the car over some speed humps and potholes if possible, and listen out for rattling and clonking from the front suspension, as the front upper and lower control arms wear out and there expensive.

Check the central locking, electric windows, electric mirrors and the interior lights work how they should, there all contolled by a "comfort control module" ECU hidden under the front passengers side carpet, and if the cars had a water leak at any time it can destroy the ECU and cause weird electrical problems.

There damn sight more reliable than a Mk4 Golf/Bora
    Edited by: AndyG

3. Mark16v Forum Member

Was considering a Bora as well but I wasn't sure, think you've just swung it for me. How much would a descent 1.8T fetch? I don't wanna buy one only to discover loads of bits need replacing. Pretty much wanna buy the car, notify the insurance and let that be that. No plans to change anything for a long time!

4. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

can't really help you with the prices as i've not looked for years,

Bought mine almost new, 7 years I've had mine now with no real problems.

Make sure the car you buy has had regular oil changes and a decent service history.

You may not have any plans to change anything on the car, but I recommend you have the engine chipped, an extra 50BHP is a lot more fun and the car is even more economical

5. Mark16v Forum Member

Ahh so its just the basics to keep an eye out for. Is it a basic Revo type chip you're talking about? I knew they could offer considerable bhp gains but nothing that major!
    Definately worth a look into. Cheers for your help Andy

6. capnahab Forum Member

I bought my passat for the same reason, got rid of the Corrado because it was bumpy and very very loud. Fancied something that I could fit all my camping stuff into.

I bought a 2000 W reg Passat 1.8T sport at 96,000 miles for 2995. Bargain. It drives very smoothly, and goes a hell of a lot bettter with a revo map and an induction kit. Get a revo done at a show if you can, I paid 500 for it at Inters.

I'd definatley buy another one as its very comfortable, quick enough for me and its got a massive boot.

Now where is my smoking jacket and Brandy...?

7. Scaffolder Forum Member

Build quality of the Passat is fantastic - only 'problem' I had was a lack of power (I came from a supercharged VR6) so it went to Jabbasport two weeks after I bought it. Still use it now and again, to keep the miles off my Evo, and it still proves to be a spacious, quiet, comfortable cruiser that will hustle along quite nicely if the mood takes you.

Could be biased, because I'm considering selling it (you have pm ;) ), but they're a lot of car when compared to the equivalent spec. Bora.
    Edited by: Scaffolder