How rusty is too rusty - fuel lines

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by dub303, Aug 9, 2016.

1. dub303 Forum Member

Are these worth treating/painting or should they be replaced... no leaks, but don't want to get to that point:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. borax Forum Member

They look pretty rusty. Trouble is you might not get anyway warning and all of a sudden you have fuel pi**ing onto a hot engine. If it were me i'd replace them before driving it again, thats just me though.

fasteddie likes this.
  3. dub303 Forum Member

I may as well add it to my ever increasing list. Better safe and skint than sorry. Cheers.

4. dub303 Forum Member

Any pitfalls on fitting these? They look a doddle to just unbolt/bolt, replace washers, but never done anything like this...
    Will fuel go everywhere? Will i upset anything delacate? Will I have any airlock afterwards? Or am I over thinking it!?

5. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

Your over thinking it mate you will get a little spray when you crack the banjo bolts jus hold a rag over them. The pressure will drop when you take the first bolt out. Its worth getting the replacement banjo bolts and washers though save putting rusty ones back. Have you checked condition of injectors? If them lines are like that you could possible have rusty injectors. You'll need new seals for the injectors!

6. dub303 Forum Member

Thanks for that.
    I have bought new injectors and HEL hoses that came with one bolt for meter head I think. I'll look into getting new ones before fitting.
    At least I know I can remove all the gubbins and know what size washers I need now.
    Just need time now...

7. BennyC Paid Member Paid Member

KMI injection google it that's where I got my full bolt and washer replacements, they are very good.

philkimber likes this.
  8. dub303 Forum Member

I'll take a look cheers BennyC

9. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Only real way of properly checking rusty pipes is to flex them slightly and see what happens. It's a bit "all or nothing" if nothing happens result but if you do it and they break, crack or crease no know they're shagged but your now stuck wanting fuel pipes.

At least you know and like you say better safe than sorry :thumbup:

They don't look too bad but you never can tell.

10. Tom-uk Paid Member Paid Member

That's nothing to worry about mate. Mine looked worse than that: you need some bilthamber deox powder which you dissolve in water then leave the fittings in it for a few days and it will dissolve all the rust

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk