How to break off the fuel cap on Mk1?

Discussion in 'Security' started by montythemole, Aug 5, 2005.

1. montythemole Forum Member

You might have read in my other posts that my dad managed to lose the keys for my Mk1, I think I've resolved the issue for ignition and door lock (spend 30 on locks for a car that only cost 180 in the first place) but I still need to get the fuel cap off with no key!

Anyone done this? Two techniques spring to mind:

1)Wedge big screwdrive in lock and try to force it around?

2)Drill out the lock? Not too keen as petrol is a wee bit flammable?

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

id be very carefull m8 :)

could easily end up with bits falling off inside,not a major disaster but you would have to remove the filler neck and clear out the tank.

id give the big screwdriver a shot first,and really grab it tight and force it round.

just tryna think of another way,apart from actually getting a second hand filler neck and new cap?

neil. :)

3. deeps_10 Forum Member

more on resolving the issue monty as you know im in the same position. Your new door locks solved getting into the car, but what about starting the car ? did you buy a new ignition barrel ?

4. montythemole Forum Member

SORT OF A SOLUTION:

Well the useless breakers still haven't deliverd my locks (if I don't get them soon gonna have to have a rant about them!).

So I bought one single door handle (drivers side) with key from ebay and fitted that so I could get it.BUT when I took the old handle drivers side handle off I noticed a number on the mechanism that isn't a part number. Took it to VW parts and they confirmed it was the key code and cut the key to fit.

To find the code take the drivers side handle off (one screw on the door shut and one under the chrome or plastic trim). Then with it off operate the open mechanism and you'll see a plastic bit pivot out (C shaped bit that goes around the lock cylinder and is sprung loaded). On the side of this is a number, starts VB and four digits in my case, can only see the number when you hold the opening handle in. This should be all VW need to cut you a new key assuming the handle or the locks haven't been changed. Try it and see if it works.....

[​IMG]

BUT in my case the key they cut didn't fit. It worked on the drivers lock but in truth that was so knackered mostkeys wouldopen I think. It didn't work on the passenger side though so I took that handle offand carefully removed the barrel. Then by inserting the key you can see the pins go up and down. With the correct key they'll all go flush. Some weren't. So what I did was take the handle and the barrel and the key to a key cutting place on high street and they tried to make a key to fit, based on the key that almost did. After binning two keys they managed it and I now have a key that opens everything but is quite stiff. They told me to use it for a while until it wears in a bit they come and get some more copies made.

Hope this helps, for the fuel cap I hammereda 6mm slotted screwdriver into the lock and a box spanner on the end of that, gave it a twist and it popped straight out ready to put the new one on.

[​IMG]
    Edited by: montythemole