How to change an ignition barrel?

Discussion in 'Security' started by scoobysti, Jan 24, 2011.

1. scoobysti Forum Member

Hi all!

I've just found this site and noticed my other half already has an account (step 1 complete!).

We own a MK2 GTi 16v E reg - 1988, and I have lost the keys [:[]

Luckily (or not, depending on which way you look at it) the locks open with any random key, so I can get in and out the car and we have a spare immobiliser so I'm told all we need is to change the ignition barrel. I've sourced one at the local scrappys and want to change it myself. I'm led to believe it is an ar5e of a job but I like a challenge and would love to see the other halves face once the job is complete - heres hoping!

Does anyone know of a good website with step by step guides to changing the ignition barrel?
    I've had a look myself but all the guides I found were for MK3's & Jettas. Would they do?
    Also as you may have already guessed it might need to be quite a simple guide as its safe to say I've never changed one of these before.

I probably am a bit mental but I'm also pregnant and currently off work so I need something to occupy myself! Having a running car at the end of it would be a bonus too!

Any help much appreciated!

Thank you [:d]

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

read this
    and i have a full guide ,if you want it p.m me your email address and ill scan the write up (was an how to in the golf magazine yeas ago)

3. scoobysti Forum Member

Hi Neil,

Thank you so much, i'll email you my address just now. :-)

4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

just scanning now expect it soon

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

If you just want to swap the lock, you can remove the whole column with the lock housing attached by undoing the bolt holding the lock housing to the outer column tube, and removing the bolt holding the UJ to the base of the column. Then drill a 3mm hole like so:
    [​IMG]

You may even be able to drill the hole with the housing all on the car, just a case of seeing if you have room to get a drill in there. once the hole is drilled use a thin screwdriver down the hole to release the clip that holds the lock in place.