How to: Change Mk4 Headlight Bulbs - The Easy Way.

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Richard Mk2, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Seen as this has been asked lately, and the only information on the net is to remove your front bumper and headlight [:s], ive decided to do a step by step guide to help anyone who finds themselves stuck when changing the dipped beam bulbs on their Mk4's.

Whats needed

* H7 55w 12v bulbs - Dipped beam.

* Screw driver

1. Firstly, make sure you have the correct H7 dipped beam bulbs.

I went out a bought the Halfords 50% brighter bulbs, as they are doing buy one get one free atm :thumbup:

[​IMG]

2. Next thing, remove the plastic battery cover which will give you more room. There are 2 tabs on either side. Just push these in and pull the cover upwards to remove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Now remove the rear headlight unit cover, which is held on by two screws. This just pulls upwards, the same as battery cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Now you'll see the back of the headlight and a black casing which is held on by a metal clip. I used a screw driver to prise this open and its quite tight.

Once the clip is free, give the casing a wiggle and it will just pull out. Quite fiddly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Now you have access to the rear of the light and the bulbs. As you can see, the bulb connector block will need to be removed first, as with any car.

[​IMG]

You then need to un-clip the metal clip which holds the bulb in place. Its really easy to remove and only hooks on in one corner, as seen in the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Remove the bulb, and place the new one in, making sure you have put it in the correct way and secured it using the metal clip.

7. Fit connector block back in place, replace the headlight rear cover and the other cover with the 2 screws, and put the battery cover back.

[​IMG]

Done :)

It did literally take me 10-15mins tops, as i was taking pictures during the process.

Drivers side bulb is easier to replace, as the battery isn't in the way and you have plenty of space.

I managed to easily do it with the battery in place, but if you find that you need some more room, just whip it out.

Hope this helps a few poeple. Dont bother removing bumpers and headlights or pay Halfords to do it ! 15mins and you'll be done.

Cheers. Rich :thumbup:

2. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

For what it's worth the Bora is the same - Easy peasy to change all the headlamp bulbs without removing the bumper.

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  3. Richard Mk2

Good to know :thumbup:

I still can't believe that people remove the bumper to change these headlight bulbs?

My drivers side one went the other day, and it only took me 2 mins to change it :)

4. dub303 Forum Member

Isn't the other side (off side) the difficult one (1.8T also)? I have scraped my hands and sworn at that side. I managed it, but couldn't get the clip back on. I have dinner plate sized hands which might not help, but pianist's fingers, so should be ok thinking about it!

Battery side easy peasy.

5. whitemk2 Forum Member

The o/s one ive always found the easiest even with big hands. Its the n/s one you need to get your tool box out and move the battery.

6. Richard Mk2

I managed to do mine with the battery in place.

As per pictures above, once the battery cover is removed there seems to be plenty of room to get the bulbs out.

Drivers side is very easy, a 2 min job anyday :thumbup:

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

aye it's not that bad a job you have about the same space on both sides on the v6 but my tdi has a bit more space on the drivers side
    you only need to remove the bumper to take the whole light unit out even then it dont need to come right off as you can get away with pull it forwards

8. Kloppi New Member

Anybody here have the original Xenons in MKIV Golf? I have an LHD V6 with them but one is gone. The space there is tight and I am having hard time changing the bulbs. There is somekind of ring retaining the xenon bulb, which I assume I should twist. Have tried with moderate force but it ain't moving. Is there a trick involved? Will I break something if I just twist harder?

9. hardlucktattoo New Member

What if you have the halo headlights I know they say remove bumper but whoever put them on my car didn't put the bottom bolt in any way to get to the back of the headlights