how to choose a turbo

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by G60KG, Aug 14, 2011.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Following from my numerous questions in my how to mount a turbo to an 8v thread I thought it best to start a new thread to find out how to choose the right turbo.
    I did have a little look on here but couldnt find a similar thread, if there is one please point me in the right direction.

The idea is to run my PB/AGG 2L 8v on SEM + turbo. Problem is I have absolutely no idea about turbos except that I have noticed the KKK turbos mostly use a triangular with round bore flange using 3 bolts and the Garretts mostly rectangular flange with 4 bolts.

I realise it may be easier or more worth while going for a complete 20vt setup but I want to stay faithful to my humble (possibly out of date) 2L 8v as I am not out to compete for the best bhp figures etc... I just to make my engine even more fun to drive.
    So please share your turbo wisdom which will help me decide what to get. I think I will go for a rectangular flange as the manifold seems readily available.

As a final note I am more interested in how quickly the car can get up to speed rather than how much top end it has so will require something that kicks in sooner rather than later.

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

Ideally you want to be looking at compressor maps to find the best match; there's a pretty good explanation on the Garrett Website.

Failing that look for something off an engine of similar size and desired power output.

A K03 off a 1.8T seems like a reasonable compromise as it's relatively small so shouldn't lag much on a 2.0 and can be had cheap as they're common and everyone wants to upgrade them.

Here are some maps

Looking at the K03 map on there it appears that one would be good for a bar of boost on a 2.0 up to around 6.5krpm, which should give about 180bhp. This is assuming I've worked it out correctly as I had a fairly heavy saturday night [:$]

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

thanks I will try and decipher all that, must have been some night seeing that its still affecting you come Sunday night :lol:

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I reckon thats quite reasonable, considering it would cost a bit to get parts fabricated up. If its a k03, it would mean you could bolt on a K03s as an upgrade too. Manifold may need bracing.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  6. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

by bracing you mean more metal welded between pipes to strengthen?

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

A bar welded between turbo flange and and head flange. But if it not stainless i may be ok without it.

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Well I bought this lot and the manifold is mild steel, quite heavy. Got two sets of boost pipes as the previous owner was advised to switch to smaller diameter as he was having lag problems. Turbo is KO3 and previous install on 1.8 8v was apparently producing 160bhp running at 0.5 bar. Does all that sound right as I have no clue.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

That should be able to boost alot higher than that. Flow should be enough to give close too a 1.8T outputs but with a different response due to having less valves. 2" pipes should be big enough.

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I think he said it could be set a lot higher so I think overall value for money there as I dont have to get anything fabricated. Is a dump valve similar to a blow off valve to protect the turbo or is that different?

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Same thing. Are you going to go straight into fitting that before fitting the MS? Would probably be the best way, rather than doing it twice.

12. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I was going to do it all at the same time to save going through calibration twice. Just to be sure will 2 stacked ABF metal gaskets lower the compression on the PB/AGG. I am also running a Newman 272 cam will this still be suitable for this setup or am I better off getting hold of a standard g60 cam?

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Not sure how cams will affect it, but usually turbo setups work best with mild or standard cams.

Found this:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  14. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Like I understand durations and overlaps :lol: I guess I will revert to the standard PB cam to begin with unless a g60 one is more suited. Ill dig out the newman specs and see if I can make head or tail of them. I know nothing when it comes to these things I was reccommended which cam to use so I did.

EDIT: found the stats but no idea what they mean which bit indicateds overlap?

http://www.newman-cams.com/pdf/volkswagen.pdf

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  15. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

after a bit of reading my basic understanding is that inlet and exhaust valves shouldnt be open at the same time as fresh boost can go straight out of the exhaust valve. So for those that understand all the little numbers in the table please tell me if a standard PB or G60 cam is better for this or something else?