How to tell LHD headlamps from RHD?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by penny71, Jan 8, 2008.

1. penny71 Forum Member

How would I know if headlamps are rhd or for lhd. The ones I have are clear lenses with crystal reflectors so no beam pattern in glass. I am now selling them and somebody has rightly asked me this.

2. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

is there no other marking on them at all?

3. penny71 Forum Member

My headlamps had E9 12.5 00 HC/R and an arrow pointing to the nearside of the car

Did some surfing and found this link to Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_29.htm

E9 in a circle means it has European approval which was issued in Spain

HCR denotes "Halogen headlamp emitting both main and dipped-beam"

12.5 may denote the voltage rating ??

The arrow is explained below

"4. An arrow below the circle or rectangle means, in the case of a headlamp, that it dips to the left. A double-headed arrow means that the headlamp bulb holder can be adjusted so as to dip either to the left or to the right."

i.e if it has a single arrow it dips to the left i.e. for right hand drive roads !

4. vwgolfgtinut

vwgolfgtinut Forum Member

if it points nearside its rhd if it poits offside lhd thats assuming your in a rhd motor

5. penny71 Forum Member

You summed it up perfectly :)

6. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, penny

Which side did the dipped beams point to when in use?. For the u.k. they should be to the left, which is what the arrow means. If your car passed an M.o.t test with them fitted, they ought to be alright. I was barred from gsf for pointing out that britain is a left hand drive/left hand dip territory, i.e. most people drive on the left, so british-spec vehicles have headlamps to suit and the steering & controls on the right (not that you'd think so, looking at some manufacturers ads).
    The 'dip' on headlamps is irrelevant to which side the steering wheel is on. A driver could be seated facing backwards looking at a video monitor, as in some military vehicles, but if the vehicle had headlamps, they'd need to dip to the left to be legal for use on british roads.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  7. mk2_pete Forum Member

right ive just been out to look at my new lights which i have just fitted they dont appear to have any markind to say which side the beam dips is there any where in particular i should look the is a small circle in the centre of the lense just behind the x hair

8. t'mill Forum Member

Ditto the above. My crystals have the HCR and the E9 circled but there is no arrow present on the lense.

Interestingly i had to send my other crystals back as it failed the mot this week due to them being LHD specific!! Hopefully my replacements are going to be spot on.