How To Tune Pierburg 2e2 Carb. C.o.?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by faigolfgti, May 15, 2006.

1. faigolfgti Forum Member

As topic above!Thank You.

2. paddy2bsure Forum Member

3. faigolfgti Forum Member

I saw that CO adjustment screw,now is the question if adjust the CO screw clockwise is to tune rich or lean?Thank You.

4. paddy2bsure Forum Member

This might help your cause:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. faigolfgti Forum Member

Hi thank you so much good pierburg 2e2 carb.tuning guide!I appreciate it!

6. jamesm1234 New Member

Hi,

I have one of these carbs om my son's Mk2 1.3 golf and I have a problem that I think must be carb related:

I have changed all the elctrical side of things, plugs, dzzy, rota arm, leads, and the air filter and fuel filter (not replaced colis yet tho).

Anyway the problem is that the engine starts up fine and runs really smooth and if you push the accelerator down nice and slosly the engines revs up great.

However if you push the accelerator down quickly it coughs and splutters (just for a moment and then revs up ok....right the way up the rev range.

This does this whether under load ie driving or just sat there on tick over [8(] ...causes a problem when trying to pulkl away quickly as it sort of lerches forward and then takes off?

Any ideas would be appreciated otherwise I will have to bite the bullet and take to a garage to have it diagnosed proerly.

Oh yes I have chaecked the breather in the engine and blown through the vacumn pipes from the air filter???

I suppose it could be coil but gut instinct says the carb/fuel in some way

Heres hoping....Jim;)

7. paddy2bsure Forum Member

I think it'll be a 2E3 on a Golf 1.3, not a 2E2 as above. Can scan in "the manual" for you if you want, and post it on here?

Sounds like the 2nd choke/butterfly thing might be sticking (worn spindle) - also check the vacuum pipes for leaks - not just blowing through them - if you have a vacuum leak it may also "stick" until enough vacuum is there to open it. There is a 3-way vacuum thing on these carbs that also gives trouble. I'm sure someone on here knows what the common faults are.

Someone on here was asking a question about a replacement Weber for the 1.3 engine - might be worth investigating that route (seeing as such carbs regularly come in sub. 100 on Fleabay)... just a thought (as I'm ignorant about all things Pierburg)!

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  8. jamesm1234 New Member

Hey thanks scanning the manual would help out, and you are right it is a 2e3...I suppose I could upgrade to a webber but to be honest I bought this car cheap thinking that a good old reliable Golf would not cost to much to get my son on the road but it is starting to cost me a packet (Gearbox has gone I think).

Anyway if there is any way I can get it running smooth without buying a new Carb I would prefer that (and so would my bank manager)....

proably best if I replace the vacumn pipes, can you buy from places like Halfords off the shelf.

Look forward to printin off the manual pages....you could also email them to me if thats easier...thanks for taking the time to help!

From my description of the fault do you think the carb is likely te fault or should I still replace the ignition coil as a matter or course?

Jim

9. paddy2bsure Forum Member

It's the carb mate... don't even bother spending any more money on the electrics.

Or you could cut your losses and buy my 1991 1.6 Driver (pic in the sig line below)... [:$]

10. jamesm1234 New Member

I would but I have already spent a lot on the car and coz my son is only just 17 the insurance is too expensive on a 1.6 [:s]

What about scanning the manual for the 2e3 Carb as suggested are you able to do that?, and also do you know what I need to ask for at Halfors etc....for the vacumn pipes, are they a specifc size or can I buy a reel and cut to length?

Cheers, Jim

11. jamesm1234 New Member

Oh and also the problem is 'less' evident once the car is fully warmed up...? I do not know if that helps shed any light on exactly what the problem is?

12. jamesm1234 New Member

13. paddy2bsure Forum Member

It will fit, and probably work fine (is it off a 1.3?... otherwise it might need rejetting), but there will be a reason why it's off the Nova - the usual reason is that the previous owner got fed up with the quirkiness of a Pierburg, and put a Weber 32/34 DMTL on there (i.e. the same carb as regularly modded onto the 1.6 & 1.8 Golfs).

Assume you're buying it for spares... if it proves to be a better runner than your existing carb... result!

Will attempt scanning the 2E3 pages tonight, and post accordingly.

PS anyone else want to buy the 1.6 Driver below???!!! ;)