How to up 15/20 hp in 1.8 gti k-jet?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by andre82, Dec 26, 2010.

1. andre82 Forum Member

2. sjm66 Forum Member

3. sjm66 Forum Member

4. N_Flames New Member

Speed!!!

Just started tuning an A3 2.0L,this may help your 1.8L. The first thing we did was advance Cam sprocket one tooth on timing belt. This made a huge difference, more power on bottom end didnt affect top end, but would still run out of power @ 5000 rpm. Next thing we did was add a cold air scoop, we made a scoop with 2.5 inch X 8 inch opening & placed it under the area under the bumper. We used a flex hose & hooked it up to the air box. The air box on the A3 had a hot air tube that we plugged & unplugged the vacuum line that controlled the hot air inlet. The power gain was incredible & keeps pulling past 6000 rpm. This was all done very cheap with incredible gains in power. Engine is stock before the mods. next in line is a cam.:thumbup:

5. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

From my experience the 2 litre bottom end has increased torque but done very little in terms of power (thats based on the feel of the car not a RR) and my times at Curby were only 0.12 sec quicker with the 2 litre.

I wouldn't bother if I were you

6. Admin Guest

did you put a cam in as well?

I would say mine flew when it had the 2l bottom end and cam installed.

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Put a 16v in it...

X2:lol::lol:

Be it happy or sad dyno :lol: = <15bhp. Chase away!

8. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

For the avoidance of confusion we (in Europe) refer to the third generation of Golf as the `Mk3`. The A3 is the Mk4 based Audi here. :thumbup:

And the OP is referring to the earlier K-jet fuel system rather than the Digifant that your car uses.

Useful info all the same. :thumbup:

9. Toyotec

Sorry to be a bit blunt but have you done any baseline dyno test at all? What if your engine is already running like poo and just needs a service and where did you get this 15-20 bhp from. We can pontificate on all sorts of "improvements" but without this baseline you are a just purely chasing numbers.

10. N_Flames New Member

Sorry for the confusion, I'm currently working on a 1996 VW Jetta with a 2.0L 8V. It was a slug at first but runs better very time I work on it. Thanks

11. andre82 Forum Member

no problem ;)

the motor is in perfect condition (90000km),work very fine, i have made a complete service whit new oil, new air and oil filter,new cooling liquid and have add a ceramic power liquid treatment for renew any little worn,

ps. 16V swap or other in Italy is not possible, Italian laws are crap, do not allow us to make any modifications in the car!

think! that we can not fit the larger brakes

[:x][:x][:x][xx(]

12. andre82 Forum Member

13. andre82 Forum Member

14. Toyotec

Get it on a dyno and test, put the plots up here and then we can tell you more.

I take it your local laws means stealth mods are the way forward.

15. sjm66 Forum Member

Yep.... because the mk2 item has larger butterflys they will catch/contact the side of the MK1 manifold before they are in the fully open position.....so..... you need to remove some alloy to allow them to open and to allow the air to flow better.

Steve

16. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

No just the block change, improved response & torque low down but beyond that it was a total waste of time.

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

Is it a Mk1 or a Mk2 golf with Kjet?

Mk2s already have the bigger throttle body.

If you want to start modding your car, it's going to cost you a fortune if you use a garage, so you really want to think about doing the work yourself.

If you can't find a 2.0 bottom end (and surely there are passats and golf Mk3s in Italian scrapyards?) then get the head skimmed, fit a fast road cam, and adjust the fuelling to suit.

If you don't do lots of miles in the car, then find a low ratio gearbox from a Mk1 1600 GTI.