How UV resistant are fuel lines under the car? Golf MK3 in particular. Safe to use?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by c_a_r_t_e_r, Nov 2, 2016.

1. c_a_r_t_e_r Forum Member

Hi Folks,

Phew, been away for a long time - Golf MK2 8v has been off the road for 9 years this month!

Back to the question.... in a nutshell, old fuel left in the MK2 tank turned critical parts of the in-tank lift pump into a black gooey mess. Plus the main pump is unresponsive.

I bought a MK3 GTi 8v (allegedly) fuel tank + pump + filter and all the under body fuel and return lines a couple of years ago - which have been stored coiled up inside the car in all temperatures and exposed to sunlight. I know, I probably should have found a better place to store all this.

Safe to use? Or will they now be cracked and brittle? I don't imagine the underneath of the car gets much exposure to UV, so any protection may have broken down by now.

Are these lines standard stuff available off the shelf?

Cheers!
    Tim.

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Just bend them and see if they crack .
    Also uv would cause discolouration so that's an indicator of any deg .
    Fuel lines are pretty bomb proof :thumbup:

3. c_a_r_t_e_r Forum Member

Cheers, thanks for the reply - I'll check the lines out with some careful bending! :-)