Howling, screeching noise from dash - speedo drive?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Monkfish, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Monkfish New Member

I've got the most hideously annoying noise coming from behind my clocks, what I can only describe as a loud 'howling' noise which starts around 50mph (intermittently) and gets louder from there upwards, from a forum search it seems it might be the speedo drive? (or cable)

I had the same thing on my old MK2 (although much less frequently) but always thought it was the heater or something...

Does anyone know if this is usually likely to be a lubrication issue (as had been suggested elsewhere) or something else? If so what sort of lubricating do I need to do?

Any advice would be massively appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Phatso New Member

Ahh at last, i have the same problem but havent been able to find out much about it.

On mine it starts screeching then the needle starts to jump about 10-30mph above road speed.

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Change the speedo cable and find out?

4. alexisblades99 Forum Member

I had that too, after fitting a speedo cable. turned out to be a dry bearing in the back of the speedo. Bit of oil sorted it.

5. Monkfish New Member

awesome thanks, will try the bearings or if not a new cable I guess, cheers guys!