Hub Adapters

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by paulm2322, Jan 15, 2024.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

Is there a way of using wheels with a 54mm centre bore size on a car with a 57.1mm hub? Is there an adapter I could use or is my only option to bore out the 54mm hole to 57.1mm?

Thanks.

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

You should be able to use a 57.1 adapter bolted to the hub and then bolt the wheel to the adapter. The hub centre wouldn’t poke through the adapter to foul the wheel centre.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

depends on adaptor thickness. at the back of my mk1 cab i couldnt use 10mm hubcentrics as there wasnt enough depth inside the spacer for the hub lip to fit. on my mk2 I had opposite issue at the back, the hub lip was much shallower and the 20mm thick spacers I had wouldnt centre on them, but the 10mm spacers that didnt fit my mk1 fitted fine :lol:

if you're lucky the wheels might have a removable spiggot ring you can bash out and replace with a VW sized one

4. watercooled Forum Member

Adaptors are a PITA ,really and if good quality are somewhat expensive ,a good wheel company could bore them on a lathe ...its only a small amount and setup in a 4 jaw chuck would not be a lot of labour ,cheers.

5. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

You are joking! Maybe in NZ, I got a couple of quotes here to rebore one wheel which had a slightly ovalised centre and they were the same cost as a new wheel, circa £150.

6. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Yes they are. I'd never run another set again after having the drama of them to run cookie cutters on my mk1. No confidence in them whatsoever.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

when I said adaptor what I should have said was 'spacer' as if they're 4x100 wheels thats all you would need. just depends if you have enough clearnce to use one thick enough. the troube is here you're going from a larger hub to a smaller bore on the wheel which means you'll need more thickness to leave you enough metal left to support the outer hub lip. if it was the other way around be much easier