Hydraulic pedal box into Golf MK2

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Trev16v, Sep 11, 2005.

1. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

yep thats it. altho i did drill the center hole first to make it easier to flatten.

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

My Passat VR6 pedal box needed one of the brackets moving and re-welding on. Wanted to use all the existing mounting points.
    Edited by: Deako

3. thebluebus Forum Junkie

top one i bet?

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah.

5. dub shack New Member

We used a passat one and we just re drilled the bulk head at the top so we could use a 10mm nut and washer. we had to enlarge one of the factory bulkhead holes so we could hold the nut.

If that makes sence [:s]:lol:

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Thats the easy way though, far less "factory" ;)

7. dub shack New Member

lol, we'll have to do it the other way and charge extra for the job.
    That sounds likea plan :lol::clap:

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Id rather pay someone to use an original mounting, than just drill another hole through the builkhead that wasnt necessary.

That said, it took about another hour or so on my conversion to grind off the bracket, reposition, reweld and repaint the pedal box bracket.

9. dub shack New Member

are we on about the same mounting [:s]... theres no mounting there on a mk2? i bet you used the later passat pedal box. 95 maybe?

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

There was definitely a captive bolt at the top on my mk2, and it was definitely slightly in the wrong position on the passat pedal box. Pedal box was from 1994 B4 passat vr6. Golf was 1990 Mk2 16v. Mounting point was near the original 16v ecu position.

11. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I think I know which bit you're on about, Luke. There's a part of the pedal box that reaches up and bolts at the top. The similar section of the Passat pedal box is kind of one or two inches to the right in comparison. It ends up aligning with an unthreaded hole that sits on a ridge.

12. dub shack New Member

Thats the one:),its been a while ago since the last one we done so i was unsure about how many holes we drilled [:$]. we just made the other hole on the front of the box sectionbigger to get a spanner in.

13. jay.golfman New Member

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="on" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">I am doing a 20vt mk2 and i put the hydraulic pedal box from a H reg corrado and it bolted straight in.All i done was bolt it on as normal bolted the brake servo on to help hold it got a marker pen to mark where the holes needed to be for the clucth m/c then removed it again to drill the three holes.quite straight foward the only hole which dont line up is up the top which is like a u shape bracket i just drilled another hole next to the exsisting hole and put a nut on the other side which is not easy ,because it's inside a box section which the original hole is normaly captavated.And you will have to modifiy your original fuse box holder as well because the new pedal box is slightly wider. hope that helps!!</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="on" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

14. Trev16v

Jay, I assume you also had to flatten the area of the bulkhead where the clutch M/C bolts to, yeah? I've found that it's taken me quite a lot of time to get that area flat, and it doesn't look pretty. And even though that area is flat, the metal of the bulkhead still won't touch the back part of the pedal box where the M/C goes. Tempted to put a little filler plate in between.

15. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

you know how it's going to end up trev :lol:

bostick roof/gutter seal ;)

16. Trev16v

No no no, Crispy. I'm a professional.

I've got a tin of Grey Stripe seam sealer :lol:

17. Trev16v

Right, I got on with it. After loads of bashing, I finally got the bulkhead flat enough and made the holes in exactly the right locations. Looks ugly because I slopped loads of POR15 anti-rust on afterwards with no concern whatsoever for how it looks. Don't care because the shell will either be scrapped or re-sprayed.

[​IMG]

Chopped the 'U' shaped bracket off the original pedal box and welded it on like this.

[​IMG]

Welded a couple of washers on like this because the MK2 bulkhead is completely flat unlike in the Passat (removed the plastic spacer from the master clutch cylinder to make up for it, so the piston sits in the same position - if that makes sense)

[​IMG]

I find it odd how the pedals now sit. Brake pedal sits miles higher than clutch / throttle pedals will. I guess this is just how it should be...? It's one of those things I've never had to think about before.

[​IMG]

Trev

18. t_r_d Forum Member

good work trev:)

19. Trev16v

Thought I'd post some pics just to see if anyone can suggest improvements at all, or is this pretty much it.

20. t_r_d Forum Member

as for improvements no.

just it'll be better when i do it :lol::lol::lol::lol: