I hate Yoko's A539's

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by G-Man, Apr 2, 2006.

1. iguana Forum Member

30 rear in wet is too high, 25 better.

Im a 539 road fan wet or dry myself, & think they are one of the best road tyres for tracking too.

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

What was that Al? -

And did I tell you about the time I had a brand new set of 185/60x14 A539s?[:D] [:D] ;)

3. iguana Forum Member

4. NormanCoal Forum Member

I also swear by A539's - I acknowledge that they arent the best in the wet, but I cant abide the Toyo/ Eagle F1 type of tyre, the tread pattern doesnt work for my cars/driving style.

I have used the A539 plenty on tracks, and never had a problem with them overheating or 'going off' as long as the pressures are watched

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

Can someone recommend me the pressures they use for the A539's to get the best out of them for the front please! :)

6. Admin Guest

depends on what you are doing...;)

track stuff and your going out hard, 22-25 all round. it will increase very quickly.

road use 30 fronts 28 rears, or you could go up a few PSI allround, 32/30 etc.

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

My Nankang "ditchfinder" NS2s were better in the wet than A539s. :lol:

8. dubst16v Forum Member

i only use my A539's in the summer. found them to be good enough in the dry.
    but coming out of pod on the weekend when it was raining they where all over the place!
    i wouldnt say they are c*ap just dont use them in rain or damp lol

9. green with envy Forum Member

539's I've found are a pile of sh. ite.

why oh why did they stop production on the 520s[:^(]

They react the same way as a budget tyre I've found, never ever slid the golf as much as when I had the 539's on.

10. Admin Guest

utter rubbish, handle like it was on soap when i had a set of those on[8(]

11. NormanCoal Forum Member

Everyone has a different opinion on tyres, mainly because we all drive differently. If you dont like what you have go on other peoples opinions and try something else - keep doing this until you get what you like. This wont happen quickly, or cheaply, but its the only way

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

:clap:

13. G-Man Forum Junkie

A539's i like in the dry, nice and predicatable limits of grip, just a shame the british weather doesn't support the nice weather enough!

14. Admin Guest

i'm rapidly changing my mind on them,

i've spun my mk1 a few times with them on in one journey, i put this down to fuel or something on the roundabout as the first spin was maybe down to attacking the roundabout a bit to fast in wet conditions, then later on another roundabout i spun twice back to back, again i thought fuel as i managed to drift all the way round the roundabout on the first attempt to go round it, so i tried again, a little shaken from the first attempt i was crawling and the back end was still wanting to step out, odd i thought but thought nothing of it other than watch out for that roundabout next time i come along.

then yesterday in the wet i managed to go all the way round a different roundabout, missing my exit and trying fckin hard to avoid the big kerbs that surround them, i think tomorrow will be a pressure check on them.

15. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I run them all around on the mk 1, always at 25-27 PSI, I don't like them in damp conditions, but the mk 1 steup is rather hard & twitchy anyway[:s]

I'd run about 27/8 on a stock mk 2

16. Jay! Forum Member

i used to work at bedford autodrome and the clio cups ran a539s all round and never seemed to have any problems wet or dry?

could just be car setup

17. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

as far as I know they still are using them to great sucsess
    I have used them in dry hotter climates with no problems.

as my names sake says(Chris P) - Different horse's for different courses

18. G-Man Forum Junkie

I might drop the pressure a tad tomorrow, however i found that in the dry when i was having a blast, the grip was very predictable and reliable, running the tyre around 29psi.

However my car is slightly lighter being a 1.3 mk2 and is lowered 80mm without an ARB.

Might be my car to be honest.

19. G-Man Forum Junkie

Well nice wet weather to try the yoko's!

Nearly crashed the car though! Not the yoko's fault! Was giving my car some stick on a large empty roundabout, then the back end gave way big time luckily I caught it just in time to save it but then it snaked back the other way. Never shat my pants so much!

The yoko's seemed better when i dropped the pressure, but wow, my rear end kicks out like a muel!

Now i'm going for a pint to cool my nerves!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  20. Admin Guest

indeed they do!;)recently spent a lot of time in the tyre shop there[|)] as i'm fitting a new tyre tomorrow lunch time if the weather improves:)