I just found out a guy at work has a Mk2 16V... Pics, whats it worth?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by 1990, Dec 10, 2008.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

...and whats better than that is that its a grey 3 door J-reg and he bought it new!!!

HeHe says its currently off the road and that the drivers seat doesn't tilt but its otherwise fine. I'm going to get some pics off him, I mentioned the forum to him as a great place to find info and parts etc....

If I work with him again anywhere near his house i'll go and have a nosey:thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

wow 1 owner from new,hope you see this car and get as many pics as poss,and find out as much as you can about this one,,will be intresting

3. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

yes i am wetting myself....never seen a clean mk2 16v

4. Bups01 Forum Member

Highly unlikely but if he wants to sell let me know.. :)

5. Doddsy Forum Member

I've had mine from new, well my dad has, it's done 160,000 now.

6. 1990

I'm working nearby today so will try and have a nosey. Its not turned a wheels for 6 years.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Needs a total brake overhaul then, probably an exhaust, both fuel pumps, and maybe a metering head then. I hope it's under cover, or at least not parked on grass (or the underside will probably be rotten).

If it's covered in moss and tree sap, give him a slap from us ;)

8. 1990

I had a look and it was solid enough but had a few bubbles round the filler cap, door bottoms and a bit under the tailgate. The sills looked solid, the 'hump' on the floor behind the front wheels was a bit scabby. It had hockenheims rather than RA's.

I'll post the pics up after for a 'whats it worth' for him.
    [​IMG]
    (More pics to follow, uploads are slow as this traffic on the M6)

What I was thinking of (If the shell was mint) would have been to put mk3 rear beam and complete subframe on it and a 1.8t in it, all for the same money as what I could sell my car for.

Any idea what mine might be worth as well? I realy fancy a grey one.

9. Collie Forum Junkie

be cheeky not moved for 6 years offer him 100quid , i would prob be willing to pay 150

do you think the sills will be ok behind the plastics, my big bumper modeled mk2 rotted to death behind them

are you not loving the vr6 anymore?

10. 1990

I still like mine but dont get much chance to use it, I should make time realy even if its just a blast around at weekend for a couple of hours.

It could do with a paint job but has no rust or rot.

I just keep thinking of a having mint grey one.

11. 1990

Heres the other pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just taxed mine online, I sorn'd it a bit ago to get some bits done and haven't looked at it since. Last time I ever do that!!!

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i dont like the look of the rust near the rear arch or the jacking point, filller cap also a worry could mean inner arches have gone. all means you have bargaining points to knock him down a bit mind ;)

13. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

It's hardly mint is it... Stick with what you've got, offer him up to 200 for the grey one, doesn't look anywhere near as good as I anticipated [:[]

14. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

What a let down, it looks a right mess :( is there a panel without rust? :lol:

15. G-Man Forum Junkie

Only thing worth something is the original VW floor mats IMO :lol:

16. Willber Forum Member

It's not that bad is it? I'd imagine theres loads of Mk2's out there which look similar to this body wise once you've had a good poke round it.

All comes down to price! If you're wanting to just re-shell the VR6 then fair enough it ain't worth it, but as a project then it looks pretty good to me if you can get it cheap enough.

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

id leave it , its well on its way to being a rotten shed , there wont be no arches left under them trims

any effort your going to put into a car might as well go into the cleanest shell you can find

18. theboymike Forum Junkie

My old Pearl Grey valver had gone in pretty much all the same places too; was a bit of a rot box tbh. Unless you can get it for peanuts I wouldn't bother with it (rot is always going to be worse than it looks).

I'd stick with your existing motor tbh - a solid shell is the holy grail of old motors...

19. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Really? They're worth money? I've got a set I've been using as floor covers in my shed :lol:

My MK2 is rotten as hell underneath, and even that has better looking bodywork than the grey one above [:[]

20. Willber Forum Member

Mmmm having a second look at it i guess you're right. My MK2 has a bit of rust around the filler and thats it body work wise. The sills are solid as far as I can see and there is no rust around the arch trims.

It was rustier underneath than I thought though mainly due to cracked underseal! Oh well it's all a learning curve and the car is looking miles better than when I got it.