I need a big wire wheel for a Dremel

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by voteforpedro, Nov 8, 2007.

1. voteforpedro Forum Member

I'm trying to clean up my brake calipers which are caked in rust, but the wire brushes that came with my Dremel are too small. I also bought a set off eBay but they're tiny and the wires fall off before long!!!

Where can I buy a nice BIG wire wheel for my Dremel? [:$]

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Get a nice wire wheel four the 4.25" angle grinder! Go spend 30 odd quid on buying a small angle grinder and a wire wheel.

Gurds

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

aye, dremel won't even touch it

your best bet is to buy an 8" bench grinder with a wire wheel on one side and a griding wheel on the other. i've got one and it's the best thing ever for cleaning up rusty parts and threads and stuff.

4. voteforpedro Forum Member

I love cars. :) I love it how, just when you're happy with your nice new tool, you discover it's not adequate for the next job and you need to buy something else.

60 grit > detail sander > Dremel > 8" bench grinder > ???

[:p]

Where can I get one of them from?

5. Richardshoes Forum Member

I got a wire brush head for my grinder and the wires fly off and stick in my leg.

6. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

you need this

[​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]

7. Supercharged Forum Member

What calipers are they? bare in mind that new exchange ones from VW are not much when you consider the amount of work you need to do to remove rust then rebuild with new seals etc... brand new then painted with proper caliper lacquer is the way to go, if not then strip down completly and sand blast then rebuild.

8. voteforpedro Forum Member

Mk3 rear calipers and G60 front. I was thinking about finding quotes for sandblasting, actually. Can't be that much - they're not very big. [xx(]