I need help picking a MK5 TDI

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by rdf1988, Aug 22, 2013.

1. rdf1988 Forum Member

I've been seriously considering getting a MK5 TDI soon, and putting the MK2 in storage to do it up gradually (It's not practical to have a running project anymore!)

I really need practical and honest advice here.

I'm 25 with a 6 year old licence which is clean. I have a 1 year no claims, because I've been on me mams insurance, and I had an incident in 2011 whereby somebody hit my towbar of the MK3.

I want a TDI made during late 2006 onwards as I've been told by numerous people that VW gave 'em new engines during the summer of that year. I like the ones with the black grille but I'm not sure which model had this.

Which one is the one to have with a budget of 6000?

Any advice will be appreciated! :)

2. Willowraf Forum Member

2006 - 2008 GT TDI's had the black grills! 140 bhp and 170 bhp. Both as good as each other with different faults to over come. I would go for the 170 and get the DPF and EGR removed and mapped which will make 210 bhp and still economical. looking around 6500 - 8500 depending on mileage and age and condition.. hope this helps