i want 180bhp from my 2.0l 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Lod_Dub, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

very interesting its been a long time since i've been on the rollers ;) keep me posted [:D] i haven't been on with the gas fitted so it must be more than 3 years [:^(] mind you i've only done 600miles in that time [8(]

2. greg s Forum Member

Brooky, have you not seen Vincent Dobson's hillclimb mk1? 1.85L 8-valve
    with Webers putting out roughly 210bhp! Fair enough, the rest of the
    engine's race spec (ex-F3) but do people really think K-Jet could do that?

No one's going to change anyone's mind about fuel systems. Everyone
    who's got a strong opinion has a lot of money invested in their setup and
    wants to think it's the best. That's fair enough considering some people
    have spent tens of thousands of pounds on 8v K-Jet setups.

As has been said, carbs are only as good as whoever you get to tune
    them.

3. Brookster

you can put a good fuel injection system on an engine to get good bhp figures but you can spend the money on other components i.e balanced crank and alloy flywheel which will also make a massive difference to the performance [:D] [:D] i'm happy with my k-jet but i have been toying with other ideas.

4. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Get a rad made lower and longer than the original to give a clear flow of air to the trumpets then fit a pacet or kenlowe.

Enjoy the results - if they go out of tune every 2.8seconds then they're done. Buy decent ones and you'll be fine.

Mine will be tuned by a rally centre.

As for overall power - its a mk1 for goodness sake! They are light as a cork - it will go great :pwheel spin will be your enemy. [xx(]

5. Brookster

who is the best carb tuner in the yorkshire area :) it is an fine art to do it to perfection from what you here from people :clap:
    Edited by: Brookster

6. greg s Forum Member

Pete at Kershaw's in Gate Helmsley's doing mine and he definitely knows
    his stuff. There's also places in Leeds and Northallerton that have good
    reputations but I haven't used them myself.

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

What about actual power delivery and flexibility?
    Important factors, more so in some ways than absolute peak numbers read on a dyno..

I drive on roads/tracks personally.. :lol:

8. Lod_Dub Forum Member

this information is all gold. im learning alot here.

quote:

The best MK1 on 45's is Jason Bennetts haven't
    seen him for a while but his is 2.1L 9A on shricks and 45's and puts out
    210bhp

has anyone got any more information about this car, or the engine? sounds like some good power is to be had from fitting carbs is the other ingrediants are there.

i know its going to be a mission getting power down. i havent really budgeted for this, not till after next summer anyway. ill just be runing a ABF 02A box from a mk3. then hopefully ill get a 6 speed gear set for it, and a pelequin LSD fitted over next summer.

just reading up on the schrick cams, loads of posts about them in the past. cant decide what rought to go.

i havent got an email back from TWM, or the new people that supposidly make the manifolds for the carbs, but as soon as i do, ill post it up.

thanks.

9. mk1. Forum Junkie

10. Brookster

yes it is nick's old motor ;)

11. matt d Forum Member

When you see my car at the next Stealth day (I'm sure the new owner will have it there ;) ) take note of how quickly it gets to 7000rpm.
    At the last rolling road day at TSR my car was approx 5bhp more than Ian B's which would make some 'peak BHP lovers' wonder if throttle bodies are worth it. Those who look at the bigger picture saw how much quicker my car got there.
    The look on Adrian's (TSR mechanic) Bill's face was good enough [:D]

12. ianb Forum Member

Got be one of the best valvers out there Matt power, torque and delivery...plus relabilty

Shame you sold it

Keeping mine now.....few little things planned for the New Year.........got a few track days to attend
    Couldn't find anything within my budget that was going to be quicker....MK5 maybe on the cards in the coming year......took one for a test drive yesterday on my own from Irvines....Neal from TSR had a test pilot run too
    Mightly impressed piece of kit out the box
    MKIVv MK5.....chalk and cheese..unless your MKIV is modded

Ian

13. barny Forum Member

we just got our mk5 gti this week ...

14. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Just bringin up a point that always puzzles me on the carb - kjet - tb argument.

Everyone always slates the VW 16v inlet design. Always saying how poor it is compared to the Vauxhall design etc..

So why is it, that when you ditch the worst part of the 16v engine in favour of a more desireable and theoretically more efficient design we don't see much in the way of gains?

If the VW DOHC inelt is so poor, why doesn't evidence back it up?

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Gains are in the driveability and response from what we've seen on Matt's car for example.

16. ianb Forum Member

You should see it on the rollers Tubs.....no comparison with a Kjet in it's response.......it spins up very quickly indeed...for standard internals on a 9A.

The only other car I have seen similar with K jet was Steve Blocks race car which had VW Motorsport Metering head steel internals custom pistons that TSR built and it won the VW cup/Slick 50 some years ago.

Ian

17. chrismc Forum Junkie

I agree that peak figures are not drastically different from a top K-Jet Valver to a TB'd example...its just the flexibilty & responsiveness that is massively improved...

IMO, once you reach the Realms of 200BHP any extra is going to come from revving the engine harder (steel bottom end? ), the use of TBs () & maybe hotter cams...() The gains also seem to be harder to come by too..

18. prof Forum Addict

yeah i'm sure the mapped fuel and sparks makes a huge difference to drivability, bet it's a great drive Matt

certainly sounded great at mallory

as for more power, well unless you harness the pulse tuning or rev it higher it's not really going to make more if the k-jet is supplying enough fuel and air, which it obviously can looking at Barny and IanBs rr runs

would love to have a go in one and feel the difference

19. chrismc Forum Junkie

I was always under the impression that the exhaust side was the achilees (sp?) heel of the 16v... [:[]

Hence why split duration cams seem to work well...The longer duration cam is on the exhaust side & holds the Valves open for slightly longer to make up for the slightly weak standard flow. This is backed up by the gains that seem to be available by fitting a 4 branch too..

For 90% of applications I dont think there is anything wrong with the standard inlet design & K-Jet :)

20. Dogwood Forum Member

The engine in my green mk1 was nothing super trick. Ported head, Schrick 276 cams, 9A bottom end with 83.5mm JE forged pistons giving 11.8:1cr. Dellorto 45s, 4 into 1 manifold and Jetex rallye system. The high CR made a big difference to mid range especially but top end also. Used standard ignition with about 10 degrees static advance insted of 6 (I think) and it was fine on super unleaded. Apparantly Dellortos suit this engine better than Webers, can't remember why. Also ran a shallow radiator with a big filter right behind grille with long ram pipes. Made 210bhp at 7250, but was very grunty too.