i want a ....

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Collie, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Collie Forum Junkie

i want a digital camera with a shutter speed that i can alter,from very short exposure to long exposure., do i have to spend mega bucks????

will it have to be an slr?

any help would be great.

Thanks Collie

2. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

not really, you'll find loads of cameras with long shutter speeds, mine's not an slr and has a 60sec exposure which I think is plenty ( panasonic fz8)

3. jApAn Forum Member

I agree with wez, but ultimately, it depends on what sort of shots you're taking. I would reccomend a DSLR, since I use one, and I don't think I've had such versatility with any other camera.

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Horses for courses, really.

You can get a halfway decent compact digital camera at round about the hundred pound mark. Even get a Canon Ixus or similar for 150.

This is fine to learn with and take lots of photos and be really critical of them. Do lots of reading, either online or otherwise.

Then, when you feel a bit more confident, get yourself a DSLR. Then your world will change a lot for the better, picture-wise. But I do feel a DSLR could be a bit overwhelming for someone who is a beginner. Although you could buy one and use it on Auto until you get the feel for it.

Or see if you can borrow a mate's DSLR for a few hours and see how you get on with it.

Good luck.

5. ivegotagti Forum Member

Panasonic have a very good range of cameras, I have the DMC-TZ1 which is a little old now but has lots of manual control and 10* optical zoom

If you don't want to spend mega-bucks then go for a bridge camera (bridges the gap between compact and DSLR) like the DMC-FZ8, which is very good.

6. Collie Forum Junkie

thanks. i have had a point and click for years, some olympus jobby . great for anything not moving. not so great fo anything else.

i have had a go with my dads eos model digital slr, thought it was awesome.

think i will get an slr. what should i be paying, bearing in mind my dad has said he will lend me a lens or two to get started.

7. bigbeat

bigbeat Forum Member

i recently purchased a canon 400d. Really pleased with it and the prices are coming down to around the 400 mark with a 18-55mm lense