Idle and Starting / DTA ECUs

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by g60luke, Jul 19, 2011.

1. g60luke Forum Member

Hi Bill,

I spoke to you before when I came up to visit with Gary having his Mk2 1.8T GT30 build with you at the mo.

As I mentioned I have a Mk1 4wd running an old school ABF 2.0 16V Turbo. And I am using a DTA EXP48 ECU.

My main dislikes are the starting from cold, and idling to be honest. I can sort the idle out, as I have added a micro controller and a servo to hold the idle, but my problem is the cold starting. If the car is cold and not been driven for a few weeks, then on the first start up, it may take 4 or 5 attempts where it start, then instantly cuts out... It may misfire a little as if running on 2/3 cylinders. After a few starts and idle for a few minutes it runs flawlessly.

I think it has been mapped fine when warm and on the road.

Is it possible to get "OEM" type starting characteristics from an aftermarket ECU in your experience. Is it also possible that my injectors are causing part of the issue? (Cossie style)

Cheers
    Luke

2. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

your injectors will be an issue... shyte spray patterns on puddling on cold start enrichment..
    cold start can be got to close to factory, but it takes time... you get little time to work on it before it starts to get warm and move its settings from under you..

I would suggest modern injectors, and then fine tuning the ecu cold start parameters

3. g60luke Forum Member

So you think that even with existing exp48 I could be a lot better off? What sort of injector would you recommend. It's a 2.0 16vt, running bout 400bhp

Cheers
    Luke

4. badger5

something like deka 620cc jobbies..

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

630cc Siemens Deka units is what I use after upgrading from "Bosch" 440CC units ( which where too small). Important point is make sure the injector is sparying towards the the port divider rather than the floor.

6. badger5

yep.. not upside down..
    :)

7. g60luke Forum Member

Hi Toyotec,

So given your current injectors, how close to an OEM car would you say your cold starting and idling is?

Also where did you get a 20vT manifold to mate to the 16v head?

Yours is the closest I have seen to mine since I have an ABF 16vt, but difference is DTA EXP48, and a Cossie style inlet

Bill, what sort of cost are those injectors...

Cheers
    Luke

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

By "OEM" you mean you mean cold start and pullaway?

If so better than K-Jet :lol:. It is all in the mapping and how much dedication that is put into it.

AMK/BAM TT/S3 inlet plenum was integrated to 16v lower manifold. It is all in my siggy.

9. badger5

injectors were 60-75/each depending on exchange rates etc