ignition maps on mk2 16v's - piggy back ecu

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Gambit, May 21, 2010.

1. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

does anyone have any info on mk2 16v ignition maps

reason being i have a superchips icon race piggy back ECU that allows me to alter the ignition timing across the rev range

obviously the base map they give way back in the 90's was to allow them to run normal unleaded fuel (and give 8bhp increase supposedly)

but im looking at doing my own ignition map for my car as i have the software and cable nessecary to do this.

just looking if anyone has tinkered with the ignition maps before -and what their findings where. - or is it just a case of trial n error on the rolling road from the base map [xx(]

engine is
    2.0 16v 9a
    WUR modded with control pressure set at 48psi
    flowed head with autotech cams
    milltek
    super unleaded

any info appreciated

Cheers,
    Craig

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

If you have the software and cable to do this (and presumably an older laptop needed to run it?) then you're set to make changes, but clearly everything you do is an adjustment to the standard ECU. Clearly that's got compromise written all over it, aswell as having to layer what you're doing on top of the existing ECU - and potentially rolling road time too, with lamdas hooked up etc.

There if course will be 2 schools of thought on this, the first being any info from those also with piggy backs akin to that, such as K-Star (and there doesn't seen to be a lot of chat about setting those up - most people get pointed to Stealth for K-Star)

The second school being to junk the system and install a standalone ECU to gain full control of all engine mapping. It all depends what sort of approach you've got in mind, but there is ultimately no substitute for the latter, whilst the former can perform perfectly adequately.

3. Gambit

yep got the cable, and an older laptop as it runs of printer port

AFAIK it works by intercepting the ECU signal and sending its own instead, so its its own map so to speak. it hooks into the ignition amplifier signal wire - so as such the original ECU ignition is no longer used or needs to be taken into account

from looking at it briefly yonks ago, it a nice windows application that displays the ignition on a simple plotted graph rpms against advance/retard - which allows you to move the curve at various points across the range

not going for standalone, that costs - and plus im trying to keep the car original tuning for the era - rolling road time aint an issue either.

maybe give stealth a shout to see what they say about k-star ignition maps

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Well it sounds useful, and I can appreciate the originality aspects.

It's ignition only, so you've effectively one eye on the K-Jet fueling capabilty, whilst adjusting the timing to suit that.

It would be useful to get anyone's input with these systems, since it really is quite thin on the ground.

I saw two recently, both on Turbo Technics 16v Mk2s, but they were K-Star, running an extra set of 4 injectors. Maybe that's just specific to those conversions however.

5. turbotommy Forum Member

I remember these from years ago,worked well iirc.
    Also remember seeing an article about mapping one on a rolling road,on a standard 1.8 16v. They used alot of advance under 4000 rpm then retarded higher up (or something like that) advancing low down gave good torque then retarding aboe gave over 160 bhp (about 165 iirc).
    This was all over 10 years ago,but i do remember "rotating the dizzy" on my old mk1 valver to get it running ok, lots of advance gave loads of torque but it ran out of power at about 5000rpm.

I also remember that when you programed the ICON RACE,when you pressed "ENTER" the engine would stall and when restarted the new map would take effect.
    Hope this helps.

6. turbotommy Forum Member

Forgot to say that i bought one of these a couple of years ago,sold it on but they were popular with rover k series engines (read lotus elise) and a few MR2 owners.
    Might give you a head start in finding some info about mapping it! as the internet wasn't about when these came out :-)

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Without considering the knock limit of a 16v, MBT is dependant on a given lambda which in turn has effect torque. You would do much better with setting an optimum lambda profile for whatever spark curve you have then perform and iteration of spark optimisation. By adjusting the spark the LBT point can also shift, which may need revisiting, until the point of diminishing returns. This really requires patience, knowing what you are doing as well as understanding the engine in question, plus bit of skill to get right. This is why people just simply junk the conitinous fuel spray system and move to system that could allow adjustment on both parameters.

8. Toyotec

Then this is not a piggy back then as it it taking direct control of the TCI-h/coil.

9. Gambit

see this is where my confusion lies...

do i get the car setup on the rollers using the standard ecu then wire in the superchips module and then start of using the basemap of the superchip module

in short thinking, superchips module is set to use normal unleaded, so because of super unleaded could you just increase the baseline of the map x amount of degree? and then use that as the base?

just unsure of what way to approach it all

if i could see/find an iginition plot for a standard early 16v ecu that would be great as i could compare.

10. Gambit

11. Toyotec

I sort of follow your thinking but can only say you are approaching this whole issue the wrong way. If you understand what is going with the combustion process in the engine generally, then you do not need any base maps what so ever and can start a base calibration from scratch. Rolls are safe but not necessary for this type of work.
    Engine speed/load points at which a specific fuel or ignition setting is best for torque will change with and increase in fuel octane. This will not be properly solved by a global percentage shift in settings. Else you could just rotate the dizzy, which then begs the question why fit a 3D mappable ignition controller in the first place!

12. Gambit

you got me confused. so i get the car running on the ECU then plug in the superchip module? the idea of just upping the base map was just a starting point as the base map is superchips map they sold so would be a decent starting point just - rather than a blank canvas so to speak?

13. Gambit

this is the base map that comes with the chip for golf16v

[​IMG]

14. barny Forum Member

Mines* got a Dastek Unichip on it set up by Stealth yonks ago, maybe another avenue to look down .....

*Alas i have no idea how it works or its mapping lol

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

Isn't max advance normally about 30-odd degrees btdc at high rpm? That graph looks like it's showing the offset from the standard advance curve.

16. CES

ces New Member

in the motorsport set up ,it's a 26 at 5000 rpm with a 98 ron (or 28 with a 102 ron).
    naturally it's with the grA parts .

but i have a friends withe 45 dcoe's (and other parts tuned) and the 26 and he run very good..

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

Good info there, Monseiur!

It all suggests that that map on the chart above is offset from the standard one, not total advance.