Ignition timing MK1 golf gti

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Mk14life, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Mk14life Forum Member

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the ignition timing on a mk1 golf gti '83 1.8? Am i right in thinking its just a matter of turning the dizzy until i get the 'lines' to line up with a timing light or is there more to it? I have borrowed a timing light of a friend (snap-on light, digital tach/advance timing) but not to sure how to use and like an idiot i forgot to ask him before he went on holiday!!! Also am i right in thinking that the timing should be 6 BTDC??? If so how do i set this on the timing light??? Would really appreciate any help. Cheers

2. rupe Forum Member

Yes turn the dizzy, can't remember which way but you'll soon see when you've got the t/light on it.Either set the timing light at 6 btdc and line the dot up to the cast arrow in the box like in the picture, or set it at 0 and line up the slash mark you can just see to the left instead(i've put tippex on it to make it easier to see with the light) and that will give you 6

[​IMG]

3. Mk14life Forum Member

Excellent - thanks for your help. Forgot to mention that I have timing marks on the timing cover and crankshaft pulley, so if i wanted to use these to sort the timing is it just a matter of setting the t/light to 6degrees btdc and making adjustments as described? Cheers