ignition timing mk2 16v

Discussion in 'Engines' started by sam_1.8driver, Mar 23, 2007.

1. sam_1.8driver Forum Member

hi all this is one of those stupid questions, i know its a simple job but..

How do i adjust the timing on my 16v? My haynes manual isnt helping, theres no vacuum to disconnect at the dizzy, and theres temperature sender where it says there should be one.

What type of ingection do i have, how can i find out? and whats the process of setting the timing. Im the dunce please help me quick! before it gets dark..

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

warm the engine...undo the red/black at the coil and set it to 6 deg through the green plug on the gear box

set it at idle

3. sam_1.8driver Forum Member

I guess i can set it at the pulley end too? cant see any thing through the hole. Thanks pigbladder

4. vagobonds Forum Member

If you set it at the pully end then that is the TCD(top dead center) not at 6*
    as pigblader correctly said.:)

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

if you have a advance control timing light you can do the pully end ...but theyre not as accurate as the flywheel

6. sam_1.8driver Forum Member

i have got an advance timing light, i set it to 6 btdc through the green plug?

Is the long screw on the throttle body the idle adjust?

Through the mfa i get terrible fuel comsumption, like 13mpg, ive put it down to timing - bit lumpy idle some time at righly high revs it just stops at about 6500. thanks

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah the long screw is idle.change that while the red/black wire is undone

mfa cant be trusted...might be a air leak

on the fly wheel it should have a tdc and a 6deg mark..make sure you dont get confused

8. sam_1.8driver Forum Member

Ive got a gunsons timing light its adjust able but it isnt that good, ill have to have a play, its gonna be hard to distinguish between the two marks. Il get there.

Thansk pigbladder

9. Leon R Forum Member

I was getting 16-18 mpg when i first bought my car. I eased off the go-pedal and got 21mpg. Still crap! So I checked for air leaks and found loads. Tighten up hoseclips, ensure pipes are on properly and in good condition. I found a huge airleak that i fixed and set my CO to 1.5%.
    I'm getting 27mpg on road and 33-34 on the mway, not driving like its stolen tho, i'm being good. But i've just been told this is still a bit low! So now i'm gunna check my timing.

13 is well low so the vacuum pipes around the airbox that go behind the heatshield above the exhaust manifold may need renewing, This will help your reading, not your actual mpg!

10. sam_1.8driver Forum Member

I changed the timing and now im gettin 20 mpg, which isnt that good still. When it was reading 13 mpg if i really booted it it would go up! Ill have to check out the vacuum hoses, got a reet busy weekend so i think itl be a Monday night thing. What are you meant do get from a from a valver fuel economy wise?