IHI VF34 manifold to turbo gasket?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by vwp6n, Nov 11, 2013.

1. vwp6n Forum Member

Afternoon folks, just wondering if you can give me any information regarding if i need to use a gasket between the manifold and turbo on my car using a IHI VF34 turbo setup?
    The car runs a jabbasport cast manifold with a VF34 turbo, its blowing from there at the moment, i have phoned jabbasport and they said you dont use a gasket between the manifold and turbo and thats why i am having this issue?
    At the moment the car runs a copper gasket and looks like its the ones that are for sale on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IH...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c383e7744

any information would be great, i thought i would have to use a gasket just to eliminate any imperfections between mating faces but maybe i am wrong [:s]

thanks
    Mark

2. shayne135 New Member

Hi, personally I'd say yes use a gasket as the surfaces wont be perfectly matched, I'm building a MK2 1.8t using a TD04-hl turbo at the minute and I made the gasket myself from a sheet that I got off ebay, the sheets about A4 size so it'll do a couple, hope this helps

3. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I never had a gasket on my setup as above

Obviously make sure mating surfaces are flat and there is no warping on either of them due to high heat

4. vwp6n Forum Member

Cheers for the reply sam, I checked both mating surfaces when I had the turbo off to replace it about 3 months ago, I refitted it with the gasket like in the link above but now it's blowing from there.
    When I phoned jabbasport they said you don't use a gasket there.

Did you use any paste or anything or just straight face to face and tightened it?

5. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

No paste at all mate just straight face to face :)

6. Dclarke Forum Member

I'm running a Jabbasport IHI set up too and don't use a gasket either. Never had any issues with it blowing. The temperatures are silly high in that area so wonder if that has something to do with not having to use one.

7. vwp6n Forum Member

Yeah it's got me thinking that, the guy at jabbasport did say that's why I would be having issues since there has been a gasket fitted. Guess it's time to strip the car and remove the gasket.

Thanks for the info guys, all this turbo stuff is a learning curve for me.

8. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Glad ive read this suppose its the same on fitting a GT30 no gasket required i do have one but now after reading this im having second thoughts[:s]

9. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Providing surfaces are straight to begin with then no issues to be had

I dont have a gasket on my GT30 and that is on Diy tubular manifold with warped flange which i have "filed" flat :)

10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Providing surfaces are straight to begin with then no issues to be had

I dont have a gasket on my GT30 and that is on Diy tubular manifold with warped flange which i have "filed" flat :)

11. HummuH Forum Member

I had same issue as you recently, but on a VF29. You'll get the gasket from the nearest Subaru dealer. If you can, take yours in to get a match. Cost me 2.99 or something. We had to drop the drive shafts to fit though so was a bit of a pain.

FYI, mine was also a Jabba conversion and as stated they do not use the gaskets as they seem prone to blowing, so up to you as to what you want to do.

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Think if they have gaskets, they will be the MLS type that I have on mine.

But there is no gasket between manifold and external wastgate, just flat surfaces.

13. vwp6n Forum Member

I was in at Subaru the other day and they didn't seem very helpful, they wanted a reg off the car but all I could give was the P/N from the turbo. Even then he wasn't Interested.

Al need to strip the turbo off the car to get in, the engines in a 6N polo so not the easiest of cars to work on, I think I will just make sure the surfaces are 100% flat and bolt it back together without a gasket.

Are you guys using studs or bolts to mount the turbo to the manifold?

14. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Studs on mine and on wastgate