Individual Throttle body casting (Cosworth?)- must stop buying!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by drunkenalan, Jan 12, 2010.

1. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

sorry mate i WILL have a 8v on ITBS eventually.

2. Razzer Forum Member

The same casting with part no 0M0014 is used on my 1600 supervee engine as built by
    'Judd' not sure if it was their own casting, may be worth a call.
    When I blew my original engine spoke to them explaining the history of the engine and was invited to the factory to purchase replacement parts, walked thro' the factory where all manor of endurance engines were being assembled at the time, taken to a small store room at the back which was full of vw parts !! all old stock from their early F3 supervee days everything was crack tested etc on site, Great day out, They were really freindly and very helpfull

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

hmm may be worth giving them a call, as my uncle worked there thro the 80's & 90's and is still friends with stan

4. pre67 Forum Member

these my mates manifolds he got given a box of them i was going to get one but dident relly have a need for it

he has **** loads of vw spaires top bloke

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2010
  5. pre67 Forum Member

was i not spos to put his details up mike ?

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

dont spose he has any more bits for the castings?

7. Razzer Forum Member

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

snap. nice on razzer, that throttle mechanism looks a little flimsy to me, but if it works

9. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

I've finally managed to get the trumpet face of the manifold measured, I've made a quick drawing of the results - please don't take this as gospel yet as I've not had a chance to check it and I've had issues with making inlet flange drawings in the past [:s]

[​IMG]

The spindle bore measures 7.96mm.

I've spoken with Charles Adams of Cosworth and their involvement went as far as making the castings and thats it - no joy there.

If I'm right in thinking that Judd have anything to do wilth Engine Developments then I'm still waiting on a responce from them - as soon as I've any more info I'll post it up.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Judd is engine developments these days.

11. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

Cheers for that, I'll phone them again tomorrow if I get the chance.

12. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

Just spoke with Barry Smith at Engine Developments Ltd. and apparently Judd only ever used their own castings - which incidentally had vertical butterfly spindles. So they aren't able to help.

Cosworth have not keep details of their client(s) for this manifold - they would have handed over all drawings and tooling to the client at the end of production.

So it looks like this manifold was either used by Spiess or Drake. I've emailed Spiess but can't find any leads for Drake.

If Spiess don't come up trumpts I'm going to pay a visit to my local machine shop ;)

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

you mean like my other set.. http://www.clubgti.com/FORUM/showthread.php?t=191717

14. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

Yeah your Judd manifold is exactly as Barry Smith described. Thats some pretty smart kit you've got Drunkenalan!

I've heard back from Spiess, and they too used their own manifold... So I'm all but giving up on hoping to find some NOS parts.

I've got a DHLA 40 carb collecting dust in my lock-up so I'm going to strip the spindle assembly down and create drawings for what I will need. I hope to use the throttle cable linkage and TPS off bike ITB's I've got (think they are off a CBR 900).

Balancing the ports will be another headache but I'm choosing to ignore that for now, or do without it buy driving everywhere on full throttle at the expense of much clutch slippage :lol:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  15. Mike_H Forum Addict

I was chatting to Danster about these last night. You should have a detailed discussion with him about it.

I was wondering idly if an 020 gearbox push rod would be a good basis for a machined spindle. Probably better to start with plain steel rod though.

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I have a set of ITBs from a bike that im going to butcher for the throttle mechanism, and a set of prviously butchered solex's 40 that im going to rob for the butterflies.

depending on where you mounting the injectors you could use a set of redundant injector holes, again depending on the head you using. that would help balancing.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I have a stainless rod that im going to use mike

18. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

I will do, hopefully I'll mange to pop round with the casting this weekend.

I luckily have one of them spare!

I'm pretty sure its a carb head so no help there, but thats a bloody good idea though.

19. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

are you starting with a carb head?, i suppose head choice is down to whether your going for bigger than 40mm inlets?

20. Rapid_Gav Forum Member

The head I'll be using has already been built (by Danster) I can't remember the exact spec, but as its already installed in my project car It'll be staying.

The biggest reason I'm wanting to use the FSV manifold is for space, My 9A block is installed in a mk2. Polo and every induction setup I've tried clouts the bulkhead. With this manifold and then trumpets that will kick through 90 I will have no clearance problems (fingers crossed).