Inlet manifold polishing

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Dave J, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Dave J Forum Member

I am currently rebuilding the 8v engine on me Jetta. All parts are going to be cleaned and painted or polished. Is it a hard job to polish the inlet manifold to a good finish? Has anyone on here had experience of doing this?Is it worth doing the manifold alone or shall I just paint it silver. I have not got much cash to buy lots of shiny bits (unfortunately). What are your opinions? :)

2. GTI

GTI Forum Member

I polished my 16v manifold. Took me bloody ages, but the end result is nice. The 8v manifold would be a lot less fiddly than the 16v so I'd guess it would take less time. The bulk of my effort was getting into the corners.

Just make sure you have a decent range of sandpaper, keep your mouth and nose covered at all times and be patient.

3. MK1G60R1 Forum Member

Take it from me, the 8 valve is still gona be a pain and alot of hard work!!! Doing my G60 at the moment (about half done) and just getting to the corners and curves which are gona take time to get to the standard of the flat and slightly curved top parts [:s]

If you are not up for real hard graft then simply sand slightly and paint with a nice ali colour!!!

4. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

send it to j.d wyatt in thetford , polished inlet for 30