inlet manifold

Discussion in '8-valve' started by no1tosh, Feb 24, 2008.

1. no1tosh New Member

hi i have been offered a 2.0L 8v mk3 crossflow head, i have an inlet manifold for twin carbs which is for a mk2 8v head i was wondering if it will fit.

also will my kent cam from my mk2 head also fit

thanks for your time]
    tosh

2. mk1beast Forum Member

yes both would fit

3. no1tosh New Member

thanks mate not beeing a nob or anything but are you sure its just that im gettin this head from canada and its gonna cost me a fortune.
    i wasnt sure about the mk3 fitment anyway but with it beeing a crossflow i was even more unsure

thanks again for your time

tosh

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

why are you buying the head from canada? whats wrong with a uk head?

5. no1tosh New Member

ive searched high and low and i cant find a mk3 crossflow head over here, i have a mk2 gti head but the problem is iam going to be running twincarbs on it and the carbs face backwards where as the crossflow the inlet faces forwards.
    i have been told that the mk3 crossflow was an american thing and we never got them.
    if anyone knows of any for sale please shout up coz this guy want close on 100 just for shipping

6. no1tosh New Member

dont matter i spoke to tsr today and they said i would be very lucky if it even fitted my bottom end

so thanks anyway peps

tosh

7. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

As far as I'm aware, the crossflow head will fit with the minimum of fuss, sounds like the cleaner answered the phone.

A twin carb inlet manifold for a MK1 or MK2 head wont fit a crossflow head. Remember, the engine tilts backwards, and the manifold tilts forwards to keep the carbs straight-ish. If you turn the manifold around and fit it at the front the carbs will poke up through the bonnet... and will never run at the angle.

There is nothing wrong with running carbs at the back of the engine.