Inner track rods

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by NateS2, Jun 11, 2021.

1. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

If I shake my wheel side to side I can feel a knocking transmitted though it. Going slowly over bumps also causes this. But when I jack the car up and check for play there is basically none and no sound. Is it more likely to be the rods or rack mounts considering everything else is new

2. Farmerchris

Farmerchris Paid Member Paid Member

Have you checked for cracked /damaged strut top mounts. As they pivot aswell when you steer.

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like rack to me.

4. NateS2

New Lemforder G60 tops mounts, everything is new lemforder actually, except the rack mounts an inner tie rods. Just seems odd that I can’t feel any play with the car jacked up

5. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Subframe captive nut snapped?

6. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

When you jack the car all suspension geometry changes from when you have weight on wheels. May be easy to pop down a local kiwi fit where they can put it on ramps with wheels in cups, i.e. normal position for suspension and then have a look around. Not coming from steering column bearings or universal joint at bottom of column to the rack is it? I had a knock once upon a time and turned out to be coming from where the the two halves of the column fit together and collapse if required. There was just a bit of play where they fitted together.

7. NateS2

Had a look at this yesterday, you can feel the "knock" when you rock the wheel from side to side with the car stationary. No movement in the wishbones so I guess the captive nuts are okay. I could maybe get a little bit of a cluck noise really heaving on the drivers wheel with the steering lock on. Going to try the trackrods and boots first (won't hurt) and if that fails, look at the column UJ

8. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I didn't pay much more for full track rods with ends, than for ends alone, had tool to do them on car so pretty simple.

9. NateS2

Is that like of those incredibly deep sockets? Or do you think its manageable with just a big spanner. I've not really looked at how awkward it is yet

10. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

11. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

I managed to get inner tie-rod off with a crows foot on an extension bar to a ratchet. Was just about doable, but tight.

dodgy likes this.